Swivel pin bearing housing

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Buzz
United States of America

Swivel pin bearing housing

Post by Buzz »

Any tips for replacing the seal ring? I have a few drops of oil on the drivers side and don't want to let this go too long. Thanks for your time.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Buzz
United States of America

Re: Swivel pin bearing housing

Post by Buzz »

Ok, I know it's bad whenever I post a question, I get 40 views, and no one wants to break the news! I guess, I will see if leak stop additive will help before I dig in. I have looked at the manual and it does look like a medium-big job.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the wipe seal (part of the metal ring the boot attaches to) has been successfully replaced without tearing the differential in two. The oring inside which prevents the oil from leaking out can only be accessed by disassembly of the differential. this means removal from the truck. Yes I would rate it as a larger project. When I first bought my truck I replaced all of the wipe seals, oring seal and axle cuffs. the original axle cuffs were chrome plated but the ones I got from SAV were not. I had to have them copper plated then chrome plated. This took some time and money but was worth it in the long run. since you do not really have that large of a leak, I would just keep an eye on the oil level and run with it until it becomes more serious. That is unless you like to spend hours and hours working on your truck just to stop a very minor leak and I know some on here do.
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Thanks. I'll kep an eye on it. It's funny. I just stopped a leak a have had since I bought the truck ten years ago. I did the rear main seal while I was servicing the clutch and I was enjoying the absence of leaks for the first time. It reminds me of what they say about radial engines for aircraft. If its not leaking, something is wrong!
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If you cannot locate a split style seal it is easy to modify the solid seal.
First remove the garter spring from the inner lip, then use a razor blade to slice the seal at the top.
Clean the metal ring and the mounting surfaces then put seal into metal ring and super glue the cut, hold till glue sets then leave set for 45 min for full glue cure, next lube the seal lip with cold Vasaline or silicate lube paste, secure seal to housing, top off fluid level, test drive re verify fluid level and you are done :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Thanks Jim, I can do that!
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE