shifting / trans issues

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Protoman333

shifting / trans issues

Post by Protoman333 »

got a problem with my 710:

Got home and coming up the driveway the Pinz didn’t want to come out of gear. Odd feeling, that…just about drove through my *%^$ fence and into the pool before I remembered i can just turn the key off to shut it down. that reminds me, i need to also check out my parking brake; it certainly didnt stop the pinz from lurching forward!

anyway...ive had issues with the clutch master before, so i checked the clutch reservoir & fluid was a little low. Looked through the system, couldn’t find a leak so I just topped it off. Didn’t help, it still didn’t want to go into/come out of gear when running. 2 weeks later I was driving it (completely forgetting it was “broke”) and suddenly I remembered that it supposedly had a clutch issue…but it was working and seemed fine! Very strange. The next day it was back to having problems again. Fluid level was still fine, still no leaks in the system that I could see…It just didn’t want to go into reverse (or any other gear). Shut it off, put it in gear, fired it up and suddenly its fine. Drove it around the neighborhood in low (shifting constantly of course) and only once did I have a little trouble getting it in gear…outside of that, no issues whatsoever. Yesterday it started messing up again….for half the day. I was again out and about, shifting fine. Came out of a store and it started the same issue with not wanting to go into a gear. Turn it off, put it in gear, start it back up and all is well again. WTH?!

Any advice? Anything I should be looking at? Is this maybe a (gulp) syncro issue or an indication of something else wrong in the gearbox? ill check the fluid level in the box sometime this week but it should be fine (it was ok in december and has never leaked during my ownership). Any clue as to why shutting it off, putting it in gear then starting it back up “fixes” the problem (for a while, anyway)? the master cylinder was rebuilt a year or two back but i didnt touch the slave cylinder (lazy!)...but its not leaking (that i can see) so as far as i can tell, there is nothing to indicate a problem actually exists with it…
Chris
'73 710m
berger
Canada

Re: shifting / trans issues

Post by berger »

Found this thread that may have a couple of ideas:

viewtopic.php?t=6625

Tranny oil, type of;
Throw out bearing;
Jimm391730 wrote:If the throwout bearing "wears out" it usually falls apart, leaving nothing to push against the pressure plate fingers. Then the clutch will not release; the truck will be either stuck in gear or stuck in neutral.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

thank you sir...this gives me a few more things to check out!
Chris
'73 710m
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the pedal is firm and there are no leaks in the master or slave cylinders, it would be wise to pull the floor plate and clutch release pin cover(on bell housing) Look for clutch debris. If you find none I would suggest pulling the clutch assembly and inspect for fractured disk, or even a seized pilot bearing.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."