Steering leak & front diff leak

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
eToothpaste

Steering leak & front diff leak

Post by eToothpaste »

Gentlemen,

As I went though changing all the oils in my Pinz, I found the upper steering gear was bone dry. Not to my suprise, the next time I got in the cab after I filled it up, there was a strong smell of oil in the cab and a greasy spot on the wall behind the steering gearbox. The "lower" oil reservoir of the steering with the screw cap was clean an topped off; no leaks. I assume this leak is one of the seals on the steering gear housing. Suppose I'll have to take it out to find the leak. Any suggestions?

I also see a drip (which seems to never actually drop) on the front of the front diff around the little hole in the frame (see picture). I can't imagine these two leaks are related, since there is no oil running down the steering arm (drag link?). Is the Drag Link Arm a passive, or is it connected to something inside the front diff? What could be leaking on the front face of the front diff?

Here is a thread if found regarding the steering gearbox leak:
http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f37#p17643
Matt

1972 710m
landy

Re: Steering leak & front diff leak

Post by landy »

Mine leaks from the top box as well. Occasionally, I'll see a drip on the underside on the steering arm. I just keep it topped up, but I suppose if it's leaking enough, it might warrant replacing the seal.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

You can always just buy the rebuild kit and go for it like I did. It's not too bad a job but it did require a couple specialized pullers. One for the drag link arm and one for the steering wheel.
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Tell me about the 4 different thicknesses for the steering joint gasket (710.1.47.521.1 & 522.1 & 523.1 & 524.1). Do I need all 4 to do the replacement?

I'm going to order those, an o-ring, and a new oil plug.
Matt

1972 710m