Differential vent ??

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
blackstack
United States of America

Differential vent ??

Post by blackstack »

are the differential cases vented? if so, where are they ?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Differential vent ??

Post by Jimm391730 »

I think the diff vents were optional; some trucks have them, some do not. IIRC they were vented from a nipple on the dif lock switch cover and a hose goes up to some higher point to keep water or other contaminants out. My front diff came vented from the Swiss, the hose goes up into the engine compartment near the air cleaner and is terminated in a fuel filter to keep dirt out of the end of the hose (nothing connected to the other side of the filter). The rears must be vented together as I only have one hose from the middle diff lock switch which goes up to the underside of the body, and nothing on the rear diff (this is a 712).

My 710M does not have diff vents.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

[quote="Jimm391730"]I think the diff vents were optional; some trucks have them, some do not. IIRC they were vented from a nipple on the dif lock switch cover and a hose goes up to some higher point to keep water or other contaminants out. My front diff came vented from the Swiss, the hose goes up into the engine compartment near the air cleaner and is terminated in a fuel filter to keep dirt out of the end of the hose (nothing connected to the other side of the filter). The rears must be vented together as I only have one hose from the middle diff lock switch which goes up to the underside of the body, and nothing on the rear diff (this is a 712).

My 710M does not have diff vents.[

Thank you for your deiailed reply. I have a 710 and can not see any vents.
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

I was wondering what that fuel filter was doing there with nothing connected. I think my 710M does have them.
Matt

1972 710m
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

eToothpaste wrote:I was wondering what that fuel filter was doing there with nothing connected. I think my 710M does have them.

I remember installing the vent kits on the rear diff and the 4x4 actuators when I owned your 710 but don't recall if I did the front diff.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE