Wheel Drive leak, broken brake plate, upgrade modification

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
undysworld
Norway

Wheel Drive leak, broken brake plate, upgrade modification

Post by undysworld »

I've got a truck in my shop for a major oil leak from the wheel drive. The truck was hemorrhaging gear lube. Upon disassembly, I found the brake backing plate had been broken by the failure of a lock washer.

Shown as #11 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-10 it broke, which then allowed the two bolts (#10 in drawing) to back out and get sheared off. The bolt heads then busted through the brake backing plate shown as #4 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-05

Note that there is an upgrade modification which does away with #11, instead employing a thicker washer (shown as #12) and loctite on the bolts.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Wheel Drive leak, broken brake plate, upgrade modificati

Post by TechMOGogy »

Where did you find the 'upgrade modification' information?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

The owner purchased parts from SAV to replace the wheel seal and lower bearings, and they provided him with literature to that effect.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Here's a link to the upgrade modification that Sarah at SAV sent to me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... %20mod.pdf

Yup, it's one of my trucks with the hole in it. :cry:
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Good info.. Did you ask if they have any other service bulletins?
Tim
1975 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

we have seen that happen a couple of times. Fortunate enough to have a talented welder when it comes to aluminum and he has been able repair the backing plates. Once the repair has been done and the new bolts put in place the problem does not seem to come back. One of the indicators that something is going wrong was the grey oil in the hubs when checking levels. Now when we see this we tear the units apart and fix before it becomes a major issue.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

4x4Pinz wrote:we have seen that happen a couple of times. Fortunate enough to have a talented welder when it comes to aluminum and he has been able repair the backing plates. Once the repair has been done and the new bolts put in place the problem does not seem to come back. One of the indicators that something is going wrong was the grey oil in the hubs when checking levels. Now when we see this we tear the units apart and fix before it becomes a major issue.
When I recently drained and refilled the 4 hubs, that was the one with gray oil in it. The failure happened less than 10 miles later. Now I know what to watch for.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

and people wonder why I check my fluids before and after each trip. It is the little things that turn bad real quick and something as simple as checking the oil levels can save a ton of money.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

In relation to my post about a grinding noise from the rear, to get at the bolt, is it just a matter of removing the brake assembly and backing plate to get at the offending bolt...or at least inspect it?

Thx!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

It's number 11 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-10

You pull the wheel, brake drum, all the brake components, then remove the brake backing plate to expose the gears and axle end. There are modifications that involve loc-tite in place of the locking plates # 11 and #23, available through SAV.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

undysworld wrote:It's number 11 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-10

You pull the wheel, brake drum, all the brake components, then remove the brake backing plate to expose the gears and axle end. There are modifications that involve loc-tite in place of the locking plates # 11 and #23, available through SAV.

Thanks! I should be able to inspect it then, without axle removal.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol