Part ID on Transmission

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Part ID on Transmission

Post by EmbarkChief »

Greetings! I just purchased my first Pinz (710M) last weekend. I'm in the process of changing fluids as this unit has been sitting for about 5 years... Just to make sure I'm on the right track I would like to verify that these are the right fluid weights for my climate (Gulf Coast).

Oil: 20W-50
Diffs: 90wt
Hubs: 90wt
Trans: ?

Also while looking the Trans over I noticed this red "banjo syle" fitting on the passenger side.

I assume the red plug at the top is the fill port, but what is the longer red piece on the right?
-1972 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Part ID on Transmission

Post by pcolette »

You are correct that the upper red plug is the fill port. The other plug, on the side extension, is the fluid level check port.
Remove both the top plug and the side plug during re-filling. Fill thru the top plug until the fluid comes up level with the top of the side port, then cap off both.

I use Redline MT-90 in both of mine. It's a GL-4 rated 75W-90 lube that made a noticeable difference for me. Not inexpensive at about $15/quart (Amazon) but well worth it IMO.

Congratulations on your purchase - have fun!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

EmbarkChief wrote:Greetings! I just purchased my first Pinz (710M) last weekend. I'm in the process of changing fluids as this unit has been sitting for about 5 years... Just to make sure I'm on the right track I would like to verify that these are the right fluid weights for my climate (Gulf Coast).

Oil: 20W-50
Diffs: 90wt
Hubs: 90wt
Trans: ?

Also while looking the Trans over I noticed this red "banjo syle" fitting on the passenger side.

I assume the red plug at the top is the fill port, but what is the longer red piece on the right?

Welcome to the insanity!

Lots of posts on this, but I will tell you what I run. 20w50 in the engine. I use GL4 Penzoil Gear Plus in everything else (including steering box). It is just easier to buy a bucket for all, then keep multiple containers around. GL4 is also required in the tranny (non-GL5, but that is a debate sometimes). A lot of guys use Redline Heavy Shock proof in the diffs and t-case, but from my readings, not in the Wheel drives. Synthetic will ruin brake shoes if you get a leak...and you will get a leak at some point. :mrgreen:

...take the floor panel off to make the tranny change MUCH easier.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Welcome to the madness. The search function is our friend. Also edit your profile to list your location.
I run 30 wt motor oil.
May want to look at these threads, FYI Jim LaGuardia’s (aka Goatwerks) opinion on these matters is highly regarded by many of us. Also if you haven’t a full set of manuals you should get them.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2339&hilit=lube+oil
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8434
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7020&hilit=lube+oil
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3355&hilit=lube+oil
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5286&hilit=lube+oil
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4334&hilit=lube+oil
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Guys, thank you so much for the fast replies. Once I have all the fluids changed out I'll have a better feel on where I'm at. I have a lot of reading to catch up on!
-1972 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome - post some pics of your new truck and let us know where you got it from, it is always fun to try and keep track of these things!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

TechMOGogy wrote:Welcome - post some pics of your new truck and let us know where you got it from, it is always fun to try and keep track of these things!
Dan
I bought her from a Gent in College Station, TX. He acquired it through a trade 5 years ago but only put 10 km on it since.

-1972 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Nice - looks to be in solid shape
Congrats and let the madness begin :)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Madness is right, I'm already into Expedition Imports for $850!!!
-1972 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

EmbarkChief wrote:Madness is right, I'm already into Expedition Imports for $850!!!
Yup...wait till you see what SAV has!

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I used Redline MT-90 in the transmission and transfer case for 1000's of kilometers with no problems or leaks. I would not use synthetic in the hubs or differentials due to the high possibility of leaks.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice! I replaced all the fluids this weekend and only had one stuck plug which was........ The same one in my picture!! LOL, the tranny "witness" plug didn't want to budge and broke BOTH of my 10mm hex sockets. I had even soaked it in penetrant and "tapped" it with a hammer to no avail. I'll have to come back to that next time, I did drain and refill with 2 quarts of MT-90 and things are shifting very well. I'm also excited to announce that not only did everything that was supposed to have oil did in fact have oil but at this point it looks like I'm leak free. So it looks like my next project is bleeding brakes and lockers. Currently my 4x4 and rear locker will engage but my front locker is a no show so we will see how that works out. Thanks again gents!
-1972 710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'd think you could pull the banjo fitting off the tranny and take a torch to things to free up the plug.

IIRC, it's wise to loosen the top plug first anyway, to relieve possible internal pressure within the case, so as to avoid getting gear lube "burped" back on you.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

:oops: Why didn't I think of that.....
-1972 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Also a very good idea to remove the fill plug before the drain plug just to insure that you will be able to refill it before you drain it. :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.