Axle problem

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Green Crocodile

Axle problem

Post by Green Crocodile »

Hi everybody! My name is Alex and I'm from Russia. You have great fellowship here! We have Pinzgauers in Russia too, not soo many, but a few :D In 2007 i had one, till there we are friends 8) So i had the same strange problem twice with axles, first time whith the front and now with the rear one. Both time it was the cranking of axles tubes.

In the front it was total damage of the place where the housing axle fixing bolt is!
IMGP3520.jpg
IMGP3520.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 6962 times
It was during a trial in 2008, so i decided that it was my fault, that i drived too fast on rocks whithout necessary experience. But few days ago i noticed that the same problem whith rotating of the axle tubes is jn my back axle :(

Both times there was a damage of the fixing hole, and both time i had to brew a hole, drilled them and then re-cut threads.

I would like to know if anyone ever have the same problem and why do you think this happens?

Thanks for reading guys and sorry for my english! :oops:
Last edited by Green Crocodile on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still playing in the mud
Green Crocodile

Re: Axle problem

Here is my Pinz 8)
Attachments
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 6960 times
Still playing in the mud
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

same thing happend to red bull pinzgaure cause was tire contact with the underside of the body while on an obsticle and the tires were not aired down and were to tall
(p.s) english was good enough to me
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

here is an image
Attachments
img-31.jpg
img-31.jpg (174.16 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Near the bottom of the web page in this link http://www.billcaid.com/2009/MogFest200 ... Part2.html are more photos of the incident Andre posted a photo of.

According to Mike (the owner) and Jim (one of our expert Pinz mechanics) the repairs required were not extensive and due to their level of ability were completed in a relatively short time once it was back at the shop.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Green Crocodile

Thanks for your replies guys! Later, I'll post pictures of repair, by the way how to insert in one post several pictures, because I can't do it?
Still playing in the mud
Green Crocodile

Andre wrote:same thing happend to red bull pinzgaure cause was tire contact with the underside of the body while on an obsticle and the tires were not aired down and were to tall
(p.s) english was good enough to me
As i understood the reason at that case was the big rock! It was a hard blow to the axle! In my case there was no blow at all! Soo i still have the question about the reason of the failure!
Last edited by Green Crocodile on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still playing in the mud
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

If I understand the failure correctly, the locating bolt was damaged and the wheel drive rotated on the stub axle?

It might be possible that a previous repair did not use loctite to adhere the wheel drive on to the stub axle. If so, this should be apparent upon disassembly.

The two clamp bolts and the locating bolt are not sufficient on their own, at least for off-road use, IIRC. Too much force on the wheel drive, and things will start moving. Break the locating bolt, and the game's over.

EDIT: ps Welcome to the forum!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If you refer to the owners/parts/operation manuals they list a retorque on the axle clamps every oil change. I am betting this was not done along with the above mentioned loctite during an assembly process. Spinning the axles is much more common on the 712's then a 710 but it does happen.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

If a locator bolt broke it's because the pinch bolts loosened. Like Mike said, they need to be retightened periodically. Also a another good warning is if you have a mysterious pull that comes and goes. The tube movement really F's up alignment. I found this out when I noticed a strange scrape-gouge on the side of my Rancho shocks.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Green Crocodile

I think that in the previous repair there was no loctite using! My mechanic suggests to brew axle's tubes in several places welding small areas so that they could then be cut at the case of repair! In his opinion, this will further strengthen the attachment and if it starts cranking, it can be seen in places of welds. What do you think should I do that?
My friend has strengthened the front axle of his Pinz by making a new bolts for spring's cups on the front axle and drilled new holes for this bolts, later I'll post pictures of the process! Anyone else doing strengthening of the axles some way?

May i use this instead of loctite?
Attachments
pinz.jpg
pinz.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 6834 times
Still playing in the mud
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

looks like it will work
Website says:
Loosening torque : 32Nm = 283 in-pounds
Prevailing torque : 39Nm = 345 in-pounds
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/medi ... tigung.pdf

and Loctite red 263 is 290/290 in-pounds
http://henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldocs ... _Links.pdf
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The axle tubes are cast. I would not go welding on any of that unless you know how to weld cast iron. It is a special process.

Cheers
Green Crocodile

TechMOGogy wrote:looks like it will work
Website says:
Loosening torque : 32Nm = 283 in-pounds
Prevailing torque : 39Nm = 345 in-pounds
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/medi ... tigung.pdf

and Loctite red 263 is 290/290 in-pounds
http://henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldocs ... _Links.pdf
Ok thanks!
Still playing in the mud
Green Crocodile

Here is a method of strengthening the front axle, which made by ​​my friend! He made a new bolt for the spring cup, which has the same cone, an inch longer than the original, and the same length as the locking bolt down! Then he drilled a hole in the inner part of the axle...Working good yet! 8)

One problem to do this you need to disassemble half of the car! :roll:
Attachments
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
IMG_2224.JPG (1).jpeg
IMG_2224.JPG (1).jpeg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
IMG_2222.JPG.jpeg
IMG_2222.JPG.jpeg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
IMG_2220.JPG.jpeg
IMG_2220.JPG.jpeg (120.18 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
Still playing in the mud