Diff case will not split

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Nomad

Diff case will not split

Post by Nomad »

Hey folks,

Just like the title says, the diff case will not split. I do believe I have all the bolts removed and am not missing anything. I got the case to crack apart but it really does not want to split. All I am trying to do is remove the top cover.

I read this thread as well as anything else I could find on the subject and am not finding anything that helps.

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... t&start=45

Are there any tricks to this? The manual simply says, remove cheesehead bolts and tap top of case with a rubber mallet. Well, we have done a lot more than that and it is not coming off.

Here are pictures in case I missed something and you can see that.

We have tapped it and tapped it and tapped it some more. Two people tapping at the same time using wood blocks. It is really stuck and not moving more than what you can see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Diff case will not split

Post by pcolette »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the axles have to be level with the case for the case to split. I can't find where I read this so there's a good chance I'm completely wrong but may be worth a try.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I am not sure if you are right or not about the axle tubes. I did take your suggestion though but the tubes not being level was not my problem.

Rack this one up as a total Pinz newb mistake! On the front of the case I didn't remove the gear and flange. I didn't want to have to press it back on if I didn't need to. I read back in the manual to the previous diff tear down section and it says to remove these parts. So when you get to the next section the book is assuming you have already done this. Any ways, behind the flange is a retaining counter sunk allen screw, same as on the backside. That is all I had to remove and it came right off.

Just like in the witches hat you have to heat the gear up to 215f and use a puller on it, it is locktighted.

Here is the retaining screw that was holding things up. :roll:

Once out the cap came right off

I do believe I have the Ex2 upgrade! :) Of course correct me if I am wrong Pinz gurus.

First, I am glad we didn't do any damage beating on it. We knew not to beat to hard and wood blocks and rubber mallets were all that was used. We didn't pry on it either. It is obvious the diff has been cracked open before. It is just a hunch but I bet the Ex2 upgrade was done in 94 for the Trophy. I can still see yellow compound on the ring gears from when it was set up. Contact and wear overall in the diff looks excellent. I am pretty happy now and ready to start rebuilding!

Cheers
Green Crocodile

Post by Green Crocodile »

Look like new inside) What is Ex2 upgrade?
Still playing in the mud
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I would bet my recently torn down front diff that you have exec 2. Sadly I did not......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
1972 710m