Rear locker won't bleed

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Rear locker won't bleed

Post by EmbarkChief »

Yesterday I decided to bleed/flush my lockers for the first time. Initially my front locker would not engage and upon inspection my I noticed the locker reservoir was bone dry :( So fresh fluid in, front locker bled great, transfer case bled great, rear locker only bled on the first two pumps and then nothing. That is when I noticed the infamous rubber "T" had a crack in it so I replaced the "T" and both of the 90 deg elbows. Did a little test drive, came back and same thing as before, two pumps of fluid and then no more. Its my understanding that there is a spring return for the locker? If so I'm thinking maybe the spring is broken/weak and doesn't have the strength to return the piston on the slave. Am I on the right track here? Any advice?
-1972 710M
undysworld
Norway

Re: Rear locker won't bleed

Post by undysworld »

Yup, there's a spring involved. Could be the locker mech is binding up and won't disengage.

Also, the fluid gets pretty thick sometimes if it's never been flushed.

Sounds like you're on the right track.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

What are you pumping? If it is the locker handle, be careful and don't force it. That is how I broke mine. The fluid has to bleed down to release the pressure and forcing the handle is not the way to go. :oops:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

By "pumping" i meant engaging the locker. The issue I am having is when the locker is engaged and I loosen the bleeder no fluid or air was/is coming out.
-1972 710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I've found the bleeder screw can be plugged too. Try pulling it out completely. If fluid now flows, clean out the bleeder screw.

Still a problem? Disconnect the line itself and see if fluid flows through the line.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

As the lines get old sometimes they enlarge on the inside and clog. As was mentioned, take out the bleed valve and see if it flows unrestricted. Replace the valves and make sure they are capped with the little
rubber cap to keep out the dirt. Cheap insurance from further issues.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I know the bleeder isn't clogged as I did get fluid out on the first two pressure cycles. The strange part is that it quits pumping fluid after that. That's my issue. It goes like this:

Lever down
Open bleed valve
Fluid come out
Close valve
Lever up

Repeat

Once I have done this cycle two times the fluid stops coming out completely.
-1972 710M
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

You did not mention if you are using a power bleeder. These will really help & save your handles.

Mityvac: http://www.mityvac.com/
Good for small jobs like motorcycles or short run lines.

Pneumatic Brake Fluid Bleeder: http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-flui ... 92924.html
Good for larger jobs as you can actuate it crack the valve & watch the reservoir.

Power Bleeder: http://www.motiveproducts.com/ http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-1 ... B00CJ5DWKO
Good for large jobs, best at clearing air from system.

Good stuff for your shop :!:
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Yeah, just running it the old two person way at this point :)
-1972 710M