Bleeding ..sediment in reservoir

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
blackstack
United States of America

Bleeding ..sediment in reservoir

Post by blackstack »

I wanted to bleed my clutch because I could see the fluid in the reservoir was very dark. As you know that reservoir is a bitch to get to and to open the cap. I sucked the fluid out of the cup using a turkey baster with a length of plastic hose attached to the tip. I could see a line of dark along the bottom of the reservoir cup so i worked my hand in till i was able to put my finger in the cup, my plan to wipe the remaining stain out of the cup.

I was surprised to feel a crust across the bottom of the cup (see pic) The crust was grey in color and had the consistency of hardened sugar cake frosting. If you rub it between your fingers it breaks up into a non gritty spreadable paste. My local NAPA guy said he had seen similar sediment when someone mixed synthetic with Dot 3
The flakes looked like rotten plastic that had been in the sun too long until you touched it and found it was like a paste,
i have ordered rebuild kits for both the slave and master clutch cylinders.

I never have had a problem with the clutch and have many many miles on it.

Any ideas on the sediment?
Attachments
blog2.jpg
blog2.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
blog1.jpg
blog1.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Bleeding ..sediment in reservoir

Post by pcolette »

I came across the same thing a few years ago in one of my clutch reservoirs. It was almost a waxy substance. I removed the reservoir and gave it a good cleaning and then gave the lines a thorough flush after re-installing the reservoir. The clutch worked fine after that. I don't really know what caused it.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That is the by product of moisture build up in the brake fluid over time.
This is why you flush all hydraulics yearly or bi yearly.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks for the comment...I would bet that the clutch wasn't bled for many years before i got the vehicle. it is the hardest to get at of the various systems and therefore the likeliest to be ignored.

just to complete the story the emulsion became completely liquid when i stirred and agitated it. weird!!