Rear wheels locked

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
edzz
United States of America

Re: Rear wheels locked

Post by edzz »

Not as bad as I expected however looks like it is likely the cause of interference. :shock:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I am surprised it held that well whilst being towed across rough concrete but maybe something was engaged elsewhere. I could turn the main shaft by hand once it was exposed (one wheel happened to be off the ground when I jacked the body up) so that's definitely free!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Brake is pretty corroded, some TLC needed, I feel

TLC…a British understatement. ANYTIME a Brits say that. Run like hell and don’t look back.

Your troubles won’t end with the e brake, but will probably continue into the seal and bearing and possible the shaft in front of the e brake assembly, and possibly more. The braking surface of the tailcone probably needs to be surfaced because of all the mud and grit.

I know you’re not going to like this, BUT with the type of damaged from mud and neglect in the e brake, you should pull all 4 brake drums and inspect the drums, linings and every other components…. Then all the steering components… tierods, swivels pivots and anything else that.

Also check, clean and oil the transfer case linkage at the T case (dismantle the ball/socket and clean/oil) and the shifting lever where it goes into the T case… mud always collects there.

BTW, the tailcone is one of the braking surfaces that the e brake discs hold against, and once removed, some of the grit or debris fell out, and pressure released. You'll find more crap on the forward disc.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
spandit

Post by spandit »

The drums are clean - they were cleaned before the truck was left standing. I'll check the seals but the shaft turns by hand so can't be too stiff

Both discs are off, by the way. With a bit of silicone I think it will seal up fine but have to get the engine running first :-)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

I pulled mine apart the other week for similar reasons and it looked just like yours in that photo. I drive through a lot of deep water and mud here in Tassie, so I decided while it was apart to drill and tap a 1/8 BSP plug into that aluminum housing (the one around the discs). I can't see that the rubber boot on the side of it could ever keep all the water out completely so it seemed a good idea to be able to drain it rather than leave it potentially half full of water after a trip. Too early to know if it'll do any good, but sure it can't do any harm
spandit

Post by spandit »

Sounds like a good idea to me... Brace yourself for a flood of posts saying that Steyr-Puch built it right the first time and if it was needed they'd have fitted in (oh, except for the starter motor mod and the plug in the engine bay...)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
spandit

Post by spandit »

Pleased to announce that Pinz is now moved to where it should be! Took a lot of grunting & 3 of us to push it but she's out of the way now
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition