4wd lights

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
tidleywet

4wd lights

Post by tidleywet »

I'm currently looking at a 710 m to purchase and have a quick question about the 4wd and diff. lock indicator lights. I apologize for what is such a simple question I am new to Pingauers and the current owner knows almost nothing about the vehicle, he purchased as a novelty and made trips to the grocery store in it. Anyway, I know green lever is for 4 wheel, center is for rear locker, and passenger side lever for front locker, and the green indicators above mean they are engaged, so why does the center lever have two lights? I've heard you can engage 4x4 "on the fly" can this be done in gear? or rolling in neutral? same with the lockers?

thanks in advance.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: 4wd lights

Post by pcolette »

The same light panel is also used on the 712 with 2 rear axles, each with their own locker indicator light. On the 710 the extra light is not connected.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Yes, 4x4 and lockers can be engaged on the fly in gear. If you're lucky, the seller is equally ignorant about the price..... :wink:

tx Dave
1972 710m
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

As Dave mentioned 4wd and the lockers can be engaged at any speed, just remember to engage before you need them. i.e. if you are pouring the power on and the wheels are slipping that is not the time to lock the differentials.

As a side note you can also shift in and out of high range while rolling, just insure that the primary gear box is in an appropriate gear for the speed before you release the clutch. :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.