Shifter linkage

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
JimmyC

Shifter linkage

Post by JimmyC »

My truck reverted to a 2 speed, just 4th and 5th. I found the rod end bearing on the end of the little rod between the transmission and the big shifter rod failed and the rod hanging. I lashed it in place and the truck shifts better than ever.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (408.58 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
krick3tt

Re: Shifter linkage

Post by krick3tt »

Apparently, the boy scout type fix is reborn. Good solution. I can tell it hasn't been there long as the cord is still white.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Nice fix!

The bushings at each end of the linkage wear out over time and pop off. You can buy just the bushings for about $4 each. Part number 7101245821.
IIRC there's a thread on here about the best technique for installing the new ones.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Looks familiar. :lol: soon after I bought my 710k i had the same experence, easy fix order the bushings from Scott at Expedition Imports. May want to order replacement throttle linkage end connectors at the same time, I keep spares of the shifter bushings and the throttle end connectors in my kit, both items are cheap however invaluable out in the sticks.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6426&hilit=shifter+bushings

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5067

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7290&hilit=throttl ... ge+replace
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Yeah me too the day mine was delivered we had to zip tie the linkage together then the day I put the new one in I realized the other one was shot. Not too hard to fix though. You can actually unbolt the top ball and press it together in a bench vise. The bottom one is a little trickier. I used a broken broom handle to get leverage and push it back on. Not long after I put the bottom one on the seal in the tower started to leak. I'm not sure if the pressure from pushing on the bushing had anything to do with that or not.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I tried to order the bushings from SAV but was told that these only fit the "old style" linkage. Can anybody tell me how to tell the old style from the new style linkage?
Jim Chance
710M

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Try talking to Scott at EI
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

My bushings also came from Scott at Expedition Imports. Your photo looks a little furry however I think its the same as mine.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Yours look like mine also and I got them ones from SAV. I drove the truck for a months with a plastic wire tie holding both ends together. Probably not ideal but they were still in good shape when I finally got around to replacing them. You are looking for part # 7101245821 on SAV website. Same one fits both ends of the dogbone. Get them both.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I am still waiting for the plastic bushings, but have overhauled everything else. I rebuilt the hand lever assembles, changed the rod end on the big piece, put a good jury rig on both ends of the dog bone. Shifts very well now.
Jim Chance
710M

westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

SAV is an invaluable resource for parts, but please remember that Scott at IE carries alot of parts as well and supports this website (advertising on top of page) plus offers great technical support when asked. Parts he carries
are also typically less expensive. This is a small community and all the support we can give those that support us is important.
Just say'n
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I did talk to Scott and ordered the parts I needed from him. He said that he did not sell the flex pipe an recommended SAV. I have a hard time finding the parts on the EI website, but their prices seem to be better. Both have good service, but Scott seems the most knowledgable.
Jim Chance
710M