Steering effort

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
waterdog
Paraguay

Steering effort

Post by waterdog »

I really doubt that my effort to turn the wheels on my 710 has to be this hard!!, what really gets me thinking is that my wheels never comes back to a straight line by itself after a 90degree turn,even worst if i make a "U turn", i can go round n round in circles without holding the steering wheel.!! What should i look for?? All my steering components are tight, steering shock is new, wheel alignment is close to specs,tire pressure 32-35psi,oils filled, no steering play or loose.... Thanks for your help....
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Steering effort

Post by Jimm391730 »

What size tires are you running? Although my 721W is almost double the weight of an empty 710M, I run 60psi in the front tires just to help reduce the steering effort. Even so, when I had 295/75 tires the steering was tough. Going to a narrower tread 265/75 tire has helped considerably, but I still run 60 psi in the fronts.

Just for an experiment, try a much higher PSI in the front tires and if you notice a difference then the effort you feel is tire related. If the high PSI does not make a difference, then you might need to do further mechanical investigation.

I just did a steering gear rebuild (see the tech sections). You should have lots of slop in the steering wheel when turned to full lock. The wheels should want to return to straight ahead easily. Does your steering wheel have a big "loose" feel when near full lock? If not, the steering gearbox may be too tight. Follow the manual to determine how to adjust the steering mesh.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

i just tried full lock to see how loose it is, and the steering play is like 2.5 inches.,i didnt try more tire pressure yet, i have to do it on the road..
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

i just tried full lock to see how loose it is, and the steering play is like 2.5 inches.
Sounds about right to me. Let us know what difference you feel if you go to max tire pressure (my load range E tires can take up to 80psi) for a test.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

Well.... I did inflate my tires up to 60 psi with no luck, it doent make my steering lighter and it doesnt return to straight line after a turn...soooo what else should i look for?? Thanks for your responses...
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Make it a simple process of elimination, and do not skip any step, continue though the process until you isolate the problem.
Jack the front of the vehicle up until the front wheels are off the ground and place jack stands under the axles to support the truck. Reach into the truck to see if steering got any easier (which I doubt). Then release one end of the steering stabilizer and test again ( do not assume anything as being good because it is new). Next, remove the steering arm at the drop arm to the steering box. Try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, it should be easy to turn , then grab one of the front tires at 9 and 3 o’clock and turn the tire left and right. This too should be easy. A this point, you’ll know if the problem is in the steering box or with the tierod ends, relay lever bushings or swivel pins or a combination of them all. Systematically, remove the end of each of the tierods from the steering lever at the wheel drives. The wheel drives should turn easily by hand. Lastly, the relay levers should pivot easily when you push and pull on a tierod or steering arm. Also, the tierod ends should rotate/swivel easily, without slop.

Only a guess at this point, but if your steering box is good, I would guess that if your truck had spend time in the mud and water, all the bushings in the swivel pins, relay lever and tierod ends are shot and will need to be replaced
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

i will do that.... but if bushings and rods are shot,its not supposed to be loose instead of being soo tight??
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

No slop (freeplay). Everything should move like an well oiled machine without any banging around of the tierod ends or bushings (including up and down).

Everything I'm giving you is basic troubleshooting, I don't know the exact specs for any of these since my 710 and 712 have been gone 12 years and I sold my 710/12 manuals 2 years ago so I wouldn't have to answer technical questions. :roll: :lol: The TD manuals went with the 716 ( I never thought I'd get another Pinz) and the ATL manuals are unobtainium :evil:

As a side note. You may jack up the truck and the steering feel fine before disconnecting anything. At that point, grab each of the front wheels at 12 and 6 and push back and forth for freeplay and again at 9 and 3 WHILE someone is holding the steering wheel from moving. Then come back and report what you found ....

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

waterdog wrote:i will do that.... but if bushings and rods are shot,its not supposed to be loose instead of being soo tight??
No, crap can be in on the mating surfaces and cause the two to grind and with water in there rust to the point they seize.

waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

i jacked up the truck and the steering gets softer, but not like i thought,(i wish there was another truck like mine in the area to compare :( ) its hard to move the tires from side to side from the tire itself even when i disconnect the stabilizer shock absorber,i havent disconnect linkage yet cause i need my balljoint remover tool...
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I'm afraid you'll find the swivel pins/bushings are worn/shot (keep going to check everything). When the truck was jacked up, the weight was removed off the swivel pins and allowed the wheel drive to turn. Have you tried to grab the tires and push back/forth at 6/12 and 9/3? Also grab the tierods and steering arms to see if you can rotate the rods on the tierod ends (while still connected). I have a good idea what you'll find, but don't want to give you an answer you'll look for. :wink: I want to hear your comments, and not lead your answers.

waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

Thats what worries me, everything is so tight, no freeplay anywhere, tires 6/12 n 3/9 no movement at all... I may have to start disconecting stuff like u said and see..
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I'll be waiting to see what you find once you disconnect the steering tube from the steering box.
Hopefully you knew the push/pull was meant as a rocking motion ( push on one side while pulling on the other, then reverse)

waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

I knew that...
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
pinzhappy60

Post by pinzhappy60 »

hi,is the steering damper prone to seizing?,as my steering is a B,in tight manouvers,dont like the idea of 60 psi in the front tyres though i guess it wont do any harm!the vibration is due for repair this summer looks quite a simple job,the welding looks simple enough,but the balancing could be another matter,does anyone know where in the uk it can be done?,anyway happy new year to you all and till next time...