Leaks - front differential and portal

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
bbonomo

Leaks - front differential and portal

Post by bbonomo »

My pinz has been sitting a while and I'd like to get it in shape for Treffen this year. Historically I haven't done much of my own maintenance, but I'm in a position to finally start learning.

She's leaking in several spots and I'm hoping that at least some of these repairs I can make on my own, but I need a little guidance.

The first one is probably simple and obvious. I think I just need a new oil pan gasket. There's quite a bit of wet oil on the bolts near the rear of the pan.

The next is the portal. Only the front passenger is leaking. I've had blown portal seals in the past, but I'm not sure this is the same problem. Is it easy to determine what would most likely cause a leak around the hub like this?

Finally, there's a pretty regular drip from the area on and around the front differential. I have double checked tightness of the drain plug and it seems tight. Any advice on how I could narrow this down to something more specific or a particular area?

I really appreciate the help.

Brett
Attachments
Oil pan, I'm guessing this is just a gasket replacement
Oil pan, I'm guessing this is just a gasket replacement
image.jpg (738.52 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Front passenger portal, dripping off of the front bolt going upward just in front of the inspection plug
Front passenger portal, dripping off of the front bolt going upward just in front of the inspection plug
image.jpg (697.44 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Front differential, leaking mostly around the drain plug, also running down a few spots on the front service
Front differential, leaking mostly around the drain plug, also running down a few spots on the front service
image.jpg (808.05 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
crcpinz

Re: Leaks - front differential and portal

Post by crcpinz »

I'd start by replacing the old brass "washers" on the plugs with new ones. Don't throw away the old ones since they can be re-annealed.
The front axle gaskets come in two sizes, so you will have to take them apart to determine which is your size. IIRC they are an oil retainer and an o-ring that need to be replaced. Use the service manual. The parts manual is also good to understand how it all fits together. There's probably lots of info here for this task. Good luck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Gently tighten the Allen heads on the portal. Should clear it up.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I put the removed washers in the bottom of the kitchen oven to anneal them, when the oven is used the heat does the job.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

To soften copper or brass work hardened washers heat the removed washer with a propane torch until it glows and then quench it in water. A gas stove burner will work too but oven temp will do nothing.

A Land Rover owner would call your leaks "as good as new"! Did they effect the fluid levels? A little oil can spread to look like a bigger problem than it really is. A good cleaning and an eye on the levels may work for a long time.
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

Or ... you can order a bunch of the copper seals from Scott at EI.
I think they cost 98 cents each. If you want to go whole-hog crazy,
order the drain plugs too. I think they are $5 and have a hex head
instead if that PIA allen wrench head.

I did the first oil change on mine and they all leaked, so I ordered
about 11 or 12 of each and I'm replacing them as I go. Easy fix.
All the ones I replaced do not leak.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I think 90% of the Pinzgauers and Haflingers out there are like dogs, they all leave their mark. With oil, that is.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If tightening the seal retainer does not stop the leak, the knuckle wipe seals are fairly easy to replace.
The centering arm o rings(front diff leak) will take much longer (a few hours as the steering links and nose piece must be removed to remove the arm for seal(o ring) replacement :(
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."