Started with spraying oil, now it's down to stuck bolts

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Started with spraying oil, now it's down to stuck bolts

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First, don't panic. Correct the fluid level and check it after a week, if it is overfull by a small amount plan on replacing inner axle seals in near future. If it is a large amount then the inner axle seals will have to be replaced(removal of wheel drive assemblies and almost complete diff tear down) :(
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
nox654

Re: Started with spraying oil, now it's down to stuck bolts

Post by nox654 »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:First, don't panic. Correct the fluid level and check it after a week, if it is overfull by a small amount plan on replacing inner axle seals in near future. If it is a large amount then the inner axle seals will have to be replaced(removal of wheel drive assemblies and almost complete diff tear down) :(
I let it rest a couple days then took it back out on the highway for a roughly 1 hour jaunt... and started to see the beginnings of more outward oozing. Promptly returned home and parked it. Decided to let it sit for the next couple days and think about what it wants to do. I haven't yet popped the fill plug to see where my level is at (I admit I almost don't want to) but I don't think that much lube could have been left over so I suspect there's some work in my future.

What I'm mulling over now is whether this is something I can figure my way through (I'm mechanically inclined but not mechanically trained) or if I need to be searching out someone with higher expertise?? I'm still in the middle of researching but have yet to find any modicum of basic how tos on this one.
1973 710K

It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.