Rear axle leak

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
flyinglow

Rear axle leak

Post by flyinglow »

I noticed a large leak on the ground under the rear axle. The boot is full of fluid so I
image the seal has fail on the output shaft. I found this forum post going over the remove of the axle.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4578&v

Is this the list of parts needed to replace the rear diff seal for a 710M? Any other parts while I'm in there?

7101322621 AXLE BOOT
9023775 Rear axle housing oil ring
7101322541 Outside stop ring
7101322531 Inside seal ring on metal ring.

pinzinator

Re: Rear axle leak

Post by pinzinator »

I have the same leak on the same rear boot. I think the outside stop ring seal is the culprit, I didn't replace that when I pulled the axle out a few years back. Now I get to do it again, and do it right this time. The axle housing is really heavy, and getting it back into place isn't easy. Jim says use a strap hoist, that should work. The rear axle is a lot easier than the front, mainly due to removing the springs.
flyinglow

Post by flyinglow »

Good to know the axle housing is heavy. I don't have a hoist but I'll try using a transmission jack. I need to find some jack stands which are high enough for the Pinz. I need to build the tool you have in the post.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The hoist is used to force the axle housing into the differential, and the last couple inches are the most difficult. I used a small floor jack to hold the weight of the axle housing when I pulled it out, a transmission jack would work, too.
flyinglow

Post by flyinglow »

Thanks everyone for the advise. Just circling back after completing r/r of both sides of the rear axles. It was not too difficult. I separated the axles halves by using cable tensioners turnbuckles from Orchard Supply. The ends fit two groves built into the rear case.

Sliding the axles back in is easier if you wedge a chisel into the bottom split groove to widen the axle tube.