Wheel Drive Oil Leak... Help!!!!!

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Wheel Drive Oil Leak... Help!!!!!

Post by undysworld »

Jimm391730 wrote:I stand corrected -- looks like Steyr has changed the hub assembly.
No, not entirely. There are two bolts on the axle from the differential, but three bolts on the drive flange at the wheel. I believe the fasteners w/ loctite and washer are all that's changed.
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Update... So one of the two screws popped a head and busted the backing plate. Berger's post was very helpful. I have the old plate stripped and everything a part. But, the spacer on the wheel spline seems stuck. Berger's just lifted off by hand. Mine appears to be glued down. So, should I leave it alone and reuse it or replace it. I have the parts. If I should replace it since I'm already in there then what would you suggest I do to get it loose. I don't want to damage the hub/spline.

Thanks and I'll post pics in the am of what I found and the project status.

John.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

A little bit of heat should be enough. Propane or Mapp gas is enough. It might just be some Loctite got in there from a previous repair. Loctite "breaks" at 400 degrees F. I can't see you need to replace it. Just clean it up.
'76 710K
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The new spacer is thicker than the old to make up for the removal of the bolt retainer. If you use the old spacer the new bolts will probably not seat properly and the spacer will not be as tight as it should be.

I agree with Stekay that it's probably just some Loctite or similar stuck under it. But you do need to use the new spacer without the retainer per the service bulletin.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

And FWIW (ALOT!) All credit to our super sponsor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrWmQYUZnk
'76 710K
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Stekay wrote:And FWIW (ALOT!) All credit to our super sponsor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrWmQYUZnk
When people have problems, it can be tough to find relevant info. Perhaps putting all of EI's videos into the appropriate sub-forums as stickies would be a good idea. With a clear title, they would be easily found here.

Huge thanks to Scott (and co.) for making these videos!!
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Pinz Wheel Gear 005.jpg
Pinz Wheel Gear 005.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Thought I would give you guys an update. For anyone who is interested, I took a ton of photos of disassembling the wheel gear. I won't post them all here as I don't want to bog down the forum. But, I attached three you may find interesting. The first shows you the hole that was generated on the back side of the brake backing plate. This is where the oil was coming from that leaked out of the weep hole. The second shows the broken bolt still inside the end of the axle shaft with the good bolt removed. Fortunately only one of the two broke so removing the good one was easy. The third photo shows the bolt head that caused the damage and the removed threaded section that was still in the axle. That little sucker did all the damage.

I was able to get the spacer off of the end of the hub/spline. I wound up gently using a chisel to get enough room under it to then put the gear puller on it. By reversing the feet of the puller I was able to pull it right off. I have since seated the new o-ring and the spacer. I have stripped the old backing plate of it's usable parts and am now awaiting the arrival of my new bearings. I went ahead and decided to change out both bearings that seat in the backing plate as I'm hoping I won't need to do this project on this wheel again. :D

Hopefully she will be back in operation by the weekend. Sorry for the delay in getting you information; but the paying job interferes with the fun one! Feel free to PM me if anyone wants a step by step of how to do this. Berger's post was helpful. I created another puller to pull the larger bearing out of the brake backing plate. But, I should have gotten another type to pull the smaller bearing. I destroyed it trying to tap it out. DON"T try and tap it from the back side. Nothing good will come of it and it is the more expensive bearing. (Just my luck.)

I want to thank everyone thus far for their input and help. I am in the middle of a project that initially scared me. But I am cautiously optimistic I will have her operational soon.

Cheers!
Attachments
Pinz Wheel Gear 004.jpg
Pinz Wheel Gear 004.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Pinz Wheel Gear 002.jpg
Pinz Wheel Gear 002.jpg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Pinz Wheel Gear 001.jpg
Pinz Wheel Gear 001.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Looks like I can't post the photos correctly. So, the bottom photo is of the damage. The one above it is of the good bolt still in place and the head from the broken one missing with the washer still on. The one above that shows the good bolt removed, the washer removed and the broken bolt still in place. (I was able to put a pair of channel locks on it and merely unscrew it.) Then, finally, a pic of the cause of this entire mess which was actually posted first.

Cheers!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Looking good. Very similar failure to Paul C.'s, but his took out that entire round part of the plate. Thanks for taking pics.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

If you have a hard time finding another backing plate, I have a used one and yours can get a weld repair. I have done one for my old truck.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Update!!! I'm confident I got everything back together properly. I took her for a short spin in the hood and no leaks. Feeling confident about the repair I went out on the highway. She drove fine but when I got back there was a slow leak of oil out of the weep whole and the wheel assembly was hot. Thoughts??? Could it be the seal? Brake dragging?

I'm at a loss and a bit frustrated. I thought I had it licked.

Thanks for the input.

John
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

After Paul U. put mine back together I also had a slow seep out of the weep hole. I kept an eye on it and it has slowly decreased in volume and is now barely enough to notice. I checked the lube level and it doesn't seem to have lost even an ounce. Perhaps it's due to the seal breaking in ?

My guess on the warm wheel drive is that your brakes need readjusting and the shoes are possibly dragging.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Dragging brakes are easy enough to check. Chock wheels, jack up suspect and give it a spin. Rr wheel drives do get warm, fronts not too much. What are you using for gear oil? Too heavy or too much will increase the heat, and thus the pressure in the wheel drive. Just my 2 cents.
'76 710K
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

So Paul I think I have the same situation. It looked worse than it was. I drove it for about an hour and a half and checked the level. While there was oil slung on the inside of the tire, I probably only put an ounce of oil in before it started running out of the fill hole. So, not much oil from a volume standpoint came out via the leak. I will keep a 19 mm socket handy and some extra oil and check it after a decent drive. Hopefully the leak will decrease in volume like yours did. It is driveable and it is happy as it got back in the woods yesterday. :D

I am running 80/90 weight oil. It's the same weight as the other side which isn't as "hot". So, I am thinking that the heat issue is related to the brakes dragging. I will readjust those when I can get her jacked up again and see if I can resolve that issue. I had something similar on the front passenger side where the hub would be hot after a drive. After adjusting the shoes the problem went away.

Andre' thanks for the offer on the backing plate. I got one from Sarah and I will now clean up my old one, pull out the bad bearing, and see if a buddy of mine can weld it. Then I will have a spare. I do want to perform the upgrade on the other three wheels, but figure I'll wait till after hunting season. Hopefully they hold up for a few months. Bow season opens on Wednesday in my area. Rifle is in November and it all runs till late January.

One last note regarding Harbor Freight... I went and purchased the bearing puller like Berger did. It did work great after the modification to the feet. But, the rest of you guys were correct in terms of the quality of their stuff. While the puller worked like a champ, I bought a brake nipper set. What I really needed was the pliers to take the springs off and put them back on. After removing the two springs the nippers were bent so badly they were useless. I put them in my vice three times just to get the two springs back on. So, word of advice, the Harbor Freight brake nipper set is worthless. Don't spend your money on it.

Thanks for all the help!!!!
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

So Paul I think I have the same situation. It looked worse than it was. I drove it for about an hour and a half and checked the level. While there was oil slung on the inside of the tire, I probably only put an ounce of oil in before it started running out of the fill hole. So, not much oil from a volume standpoint came out via the leak. I will keep a 19 mm socket handy and some extra oil and check it after a decent drive. Hopefully the leak will decrease in volume like yours did. It is driveable and it is happy as it got back in the woods yesterday. :D

I am running 80/90 weight oil. It's the same weight as the other side which isn't as "hot". So, I am thinking that the heat issue is related to the brakes dragging. I will readjust those when I can get her jacked up again and see if I can resolve that issue. I had something similar on the front passenger side where the hub would be hot after a drive. After adjusting the shoes the problem went away.

Andre' thanks for the offer on the backing plate. I got one from Sarah and I will now clean up my old one, pull out the bad bearing, and see if a buddy of mine can weld it. Then I will have a spare. I do want to perform the upgrade on the other three wheels, but figure I'll wait till after hunting season. Hopefully they hold up for a few months. Bow season opens on Wednesday in my area. Rifle is in November and it all runs till late January.

One last note regarding Harbor Freight... I went and purchased the bearing puller like Berger did. It did work great after the modification to the feet. But, the rest of you guys were correct in terms of the quality of their stuff. While the puller worked like a champ, I bought a brake nipper set. What I really needed was the pliers to take the springs off and put them back on. After removing the two springs the nippers were bent so badly they were useless. I put them in my vice three times just to get the two springs back on. So, word of advice, the Harbor Freight brake nipper set is worthless. Don't spend your money on it.

Thanks for all the help!!!!