Facing reamer to resurface crush washer seal surfaces?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
GRCameron
United States of America

Facing reamer to resurface crush washer seal surfaces?

Post by GRCameron »

I changed all my driveline and hub fluids last week and discovered that all the crush washer sealing surfaces in the housings had been scored/scratched across the sealing surface by previous attempts to pry out the used copper crush washers. Some damage is pretty severe, though I was able to get them all sealed back up - so far...

Does anyone know of a facing reamer that could be used to restore the sealing surfaces in the cases? I was thinking of making something our of a spot facing cutter with a pilot that would screw into the M22x1.5 drain/fill plug holes. It would serve to center and square the cutter and also prevent chips from entering the gear cases. It would be hand driven to prevent too much material from being removed. My only impediment is not having access to a lathe. :(

How have you adapted to damaged seal washer surfaces?
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
CentAr712
United States of America

Re: Facing reamer to resurface crush washer seal surfaces?

Post by CentAr712 »

I would try a metal filled epoxy or JB-weld, then smooth it nicely with emery cloth and spray both the washer and surface with copper spray-a-gasket. I had a similar issue and the spray-a-gasket alone fixed it.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale