No fluid in locker reservoir

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Texas710
United States of America

No fluid in locker reservoir

Post by Texas710 »

Decided to purge my lockers system, went to look at it and found no fluid in the reservoir, looked sort of wet, small amount of goo. Rubber pieces cracked for sure.

I have only just now registered the truck (as a station wagon!) so have only driven this a few times and engaged the lockers 2-3 times. PO took me for a spin over a freaking mountain and everything seemed to be working.

I replaced the rubber pieces out of spares that came with the truck, filled with DOT 3 and am waiting on my Motive brake bleeder. I will purge the lines in a few days. Brakes and clutch are fine, I plan on flushing those as well.

My question is: What happens if you run these low on fluid. Damage, or just failure to engage in 4x4?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: No fluid in locker reservoir

Post by Jimm391730 »

What happens if you run these low on fluid. Damage, or just failure to engage in 4x4?
Just failure to engage. It sounds like there was just enough fluid in the master cylinder to engage, but nothing left in reserve. Clean out the gunk and goo, refill, and bleed out any air that might have gotten in (and to flush out the old fluid). If the reservoir was empty it may mean that one of the slave cylinders is leaking, gradually using up and leaking out what was in the reservoir (perhaps over several years time). Just keep an eye on the reservoir level -- if it stays at the same level, all is good. If it drops, you will know to look for a leak somewhere.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Thank you.

That was what I was thinking, but this is my first hydraulic system so wanted to make sure. I will for sure keep an eye on the level.

Will report anything amiss upon flushing, hope that goes fine, looks pretty straight forward thanks to all the information on here.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

The bleeder came in today, the lockers were an easy job.

System held pressure, I was able to loosen/tighten the valves, fluid flowed until clear, nothing really weird looking in the fluid.

Get the 1100 European attachment for the bleeder, threads right on.

Don't put this job off if you're on the fence, was very easy and I will add it to the yearly list. Could not do it without this forum. Thanks again.

Pic for proof!

Now for the brakes and clutch... Little more reading to do on those for me...
Attachments
lockers.jpg
lockers.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 3017 times