80w90 gear oil okay?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
kdiqq
United States of America

80w90 gear oil okay?

Post by kdiqq »

I went to auto zone last night to try and find 90wt gear oil but had no luck. What gear oil I did find was GL-5 80w90.

I'd like to get all this fluid swapped out soon and not pay for Redline MT90. Since I live in Houston, I don't see extreme cold temperatures. What's the consensus? I tried searching and it appears that folks run all 90wt. Where do yall find this stuff?!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
pinzinator

Re: 80w90 gear oil okay?

Post by pinzinator »

Use the Redline if this is intended for the transmission, it is worth the extra cost. I have had this in my Pinz for many years.
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I've used synthetics for a long time in everything hot rod and on my motorcycles. I am a believer in quality lubricants.

But for a vehicle designed in the 60s that has survived (very well) on what was available, I have this nagging in the back of my head that keeps telling me to save my money and use a conventional 90wt oil. Could you explain why the Redline is worth it? And what would be suggested for the t-case and portals?

Don't mean to question your judgement I would just like to be more informed on the decision.

Thanks!
1977 Austrian 710M
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Lots of threads on the subject of Syn vs mineral oils for
all things needing lubrication.

Use the Search function with key "redline" and you will
hit most of them.

Never use a synthetic in your portals or Engine, it's
covered well on the threads.
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

There is plenty of lubricant wisdom to be found in these forums. Redline MT-90 is a GL-4 oil that is NOT aggressive toward the brass synchro rings in the transmission and transfer case. If you run a GL-5 lube in these spaces the reactive sulfur additive builds up on the surface of the rings and then separates - taking some of the brass base metal with it. Given enough time shifting suffers and a rebuild is in order.

You can run just about anything in the hubs. Redline Heavy Shockproof has been recommended by many owners. It has a viscosity like 75W90 with film thickness like 75W250. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Most likely.

MT-90: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
Heavy Shockproof: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

You can order both of these through Amazon and have them delivered to your door.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have run Redline Shockproof in the transfer case for a few years. It doesn't leak, and seems to work well. The transfer case, like the transmission, shifts easily at all speeds and temperatures. My only complaint is that it is hard to pour into the transfer case, and that only reflects on me, not the product. I agree that synthetics should not be used anywhere else in the Pinzgauer, as it WILL leak.
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Dang. Well my transmission is already leaking where the shift shaft meets the box (which is why I need more fluid, so I can fix it haha) but if the consensus is that Redline goes good in the transmission, I will concede. It's all cheaper than a rebuild. And if it's anything like my other vehicles, I won't be changing tranny fluid often at all.

1977 Austrian 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Biggest problem with redline is that it is hard to source locally, you gotta wait for delivery which is never what I like to do. Other than that, it is a great product, worth every penny. Use it in the transmission.

Don't be afraid of replacing the seal where the shifter enters the transmission, great post around here somewhere search "tranny oil leak...." about that and it really is pretty straightforward. Took me all of about an hour.
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Well I put the tiniest amount of locally sourced 80w90 that was GL4 compatible. I wasn't going to run it low. So I will order the seal here soon and filled it up with this liquid gold stuff haha.

1977 Austrian 710M
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

I am going to give some of this a try. I will post how it does in the future.
Attachments
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 6042 times
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 6042 times
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

That looks like it says all of the correct things on it for use in the tranny and tcase. I'd still go with Redline myself...

Using a lift would make it much easier...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com