Tie Rod Removal Tool - Any substitute?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
ako

Tie Rod Removal Tool - Any substitute?

Post by ako »

I am removing my tracks rods (terminology from manual) as they are both extremely bent and I have a cross-eyed front end.

I removed the wheels and used a normal 2-jaw puller to remove both the outer tie rods.

I could not get the inner ones as there is no clearance above. I referred to the workshop manual and it called up for a special tool 905.3.33.502.0.

I don't have this style of puller, does any one else have an alternative?

A bush mechanic might put a long nut on the end of the tie rod (to protect the threads) and apply a BFH but being upside down there is no room to swing.

I also realise I can unscrew the track rods from the inner tie rod end, but I want to inspect them and either replace or service them (rubbers and grease).

Thanks in advance for and help. I tried searching and didn't find any relevant info.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Tie Rod Removal Tool - Any substitute?

Post by undysworld »

I got one from OTC, that works very well. I believe that Harbor Trash now sells a rip-off version.

Edit: I couldn't find it listed at HT, but here's one of the OTC ones: https://jet.com/product/product/2aa9b37 ... aQodqMILLw
ako

Post by ako »

Thanks for that. I printed a copy of the OTC tool and took it to my truck store this morning.

They brought a CTA 4013 from out the back which was virtually identical to the OTC.

Made in USA but not sure what they quality is like compared to OTC.

Never thought it would be so simple - things here usually take twice as long for twice the effort.
ako

Post by ako »

Work up too early this morning so I thought I might as well work on the truck.

Amazing the difference the right tools make! :mrgreen:

I like buying new tools when you know that just using them once is cheaper than paying a mechanic for the job.

Wonder if I get a prize for the biggest banana arms or someone has had worse. :lol:
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Can those be straightened and reused, maybe with heat, or do you need to get replacements?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
ako

Post by ako »

An ex-colleague of mine has a workshop with a 200 tonne hydraulic press that he uses to bend steel I-beams and such.

Should be no problem for him.

I noticed in a previous thread that Andre mentioned he presses them straight in situ, but it's easier for me to take them to the steel workshop.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

ako wrote:Wonder if I get a prize for the biggest banana arms or someone has had worse. :lol:
I think I might have bent one further when I attempted to dislodge a tree stump with my tie rod up at McCaslin Mt. (way back when it was open), but I only bent one, so you're still in the lead.

I straightened it in a small hydraulic press (it doesn't take much) as best I could. Seemed to work fine again after being re-aligned.
ako

Post by ako »

A bit of press work :

And close enough for me :

A bit of paint, new rubbers and some grease and I should be away.