Transmission leak, seals changed

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Transmission leak, seals changed

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hotzenplotz wrote: ask Prokschi if he ships abroad...
He does, I buy Haflinger parts from him (just received a shipment on Friday) - However, Scott at EI and SAV are the best sources here in NA
Robert Prokschi also has a rep here in NA out of Carlsbad, Ca
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Just did a little digging. Looks like Scott sells the exact one pictured and SAV has a different type that I can confirm would not fit under the valve cover. If the sides weren't bowed it, they would have fit. When I attempted to make it fit though, not only did it return to its original shape, but it eventually broke from being flexed...
1977 Austrian 710M
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Surface the valve covers. (Light sand paper on plate of glass works just fine.)

Glue/Sealant the valve cover gaskets to the Valve Covers. Then Install. Quite common for the valve cover gaskets to bow in from storage and shipping. I've never had a problem with them, simply install to the covers, then install on the motor. Obviously, they must not be bowed in prior to install, as that is one of the reasons we install them on the valve covers first.

In terms of the transmission cork tower gasket.....they absolutely suck. The factory shifted away from the cork gasket in the late 1980's...... If you are getting cork, it's likely quite old.

Installing the shifter seals backwards will definitely cause leaks....they are designed to seal with pressure only on 1 side of the seal.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I've been running the engine quite a bit to test for oil leaks. So far every gasket I touched is sealed nice and tight. Oil fill tube, thermostat housing, all valve covers. Unfortunately I found the fuel pump leaking oil. Should have ordered that gasket too! I didn't scuff the valve covers, but I applied Permatex No.2 to both sides and reused the stock gasket.

The gaskets I got were so bowed that there were areas that didn't touch the valve cover. Slight bending and trying to stick with No 2 just resulted in the gaskets snapping back to bowed shape. I couldn't apply enough dressing to overcome the reaction force of the gasket. When I try to bend even more to encourage a new shape was when it snapped. They were very hard, very trashy.

The seals I got were actually different than the one pictured on your website Scott. Minor difference, but who knows. I looked back under there and I at least installed the furthest out seal correctly. I didn't want to investigate too much since I had new gaskets en route.
1977 Austrian 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Did this repair a few months ago, still had a small leak, this damn post has been bugging me so I ordered parts and tore into it today... Yep, installed the outer seal backwards!

Here's to fixing that leak a second time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Your post reminded me to follow up. When I pulled the shift tower, the cork gasket was in pieces. Total POS. And the Rings weren't the correct size, I pulled them out effortlessly.

Put Scott's gasket in with permatex again and knocked in the seals as per the manual says. She's bone dry!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M