Transmission leak, seals changed

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
kdiqq
United States of America

Transmission leak, seals changed

Post by kdiqq »

I went to tackle changing the seals in the shifter housing today and after a quick drive I can see that it is leaking FAR worse than before. A few things I noticed though. When I removed the old seals, I only pulled out one seal. It was only the thick one. But since my housing had room for both, I reinstalled with both. Then I cleaned both mating surfaces and quickly drove the new seals in and it bolted right back up. The gasket I used for the shifter housing though was cork and appeared to be sized slightly too small in that it took a little massage during installation to get it on right. Troqued everything to spec and now the seals at the linkage AND the housing are leaking! Did I do something terribly wrong?! Why did I only have one seal?

Thanks!
1977 Austrian 710M
kdiqq
United States of America

Re: Transmission leak, seals changed

Post by kdiqq »

Well for one leak it appears I might have installed the sealing ring backwards. I will flip it tomorrow... But should it make that big of a difference? I don't know... It may. But I still have figure out why this cork gasket is performing so poorly. I am likely going to remove it and seal with super black.
1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

look at the pic at http://www.puch.at/2754_Getriebeschaltu ... spx?LNG=en

there are TWO sealing rings (18 and 19) on the selector shaft (17). Both rings have to be installed with the flat side facing outside towards the lever. pressure buils up inside, and presses the lip of the ring against the shaft. in the other direction the pressure tries ( successfully) to escape through the gap betwenn rubber lip and shaft....

If the cork gasket leaks, get yourself a new one, or purchase raw gasket material of the same thickness , and cut your own.
Don't use liquid sealant only.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

After doing some digging I learn that cork gaskets are supposed to be dressed. I will pop it off and see if it is salvagable with dressing. I am beginning to think that maybe my two shaft seals aren't leaking but rather dripping from the cork gasket is making it appear that they are.
1977 Austrian 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have often found that gasket material (cork) sold in sheets, often rolled, is much less expensive than pre made ones. ...and are more often easier to make than trying to find the pre made ones for hard to obtain sizes. You can make a lot of them if one gets ruined, make more.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I actually found out Scott has one that is not made of cork so I just ordered another one since what came out was not cork either. I will use some Permatex No.3 on one side as well. Planning to use No3 on the valve covers when I get to the valve adjustment today. Hopefully those don't suffer from the same issues!
1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

valve cover gaskets are not made of cork, don't worry
Cheers
Albert
========================
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Are you totally certain? Mine look identical to the cork/rubber sheets that you get at the auto store. It isn't straight cork like my transmission gasket was, but it's super similar in appearance. Did I get the wrong thing? I'm thankful you're knowledgeable about this. Image
1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

kdiqq

apologies for the confusion; it turns out that I have purchased a bunch of aftermarket gaskets on a fair; I was not aware that the original ones are made of the rubber / cork mixture like yours.
Cheers
Albert
========================
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Did I get the wrong ones? I'm going to apply Permatex no2 to one side this time. And these appear to be a much better quality then the gasket I put in the transmission.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

it seems you got original ones. We have plenty of aftermarket suppliers in Austria, so I tend to get the parts from different sources
Cheers
Albert
========================
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

They were royal pieces of trash. I ended up reusing the old ones with gasket dressing. The fit was absolutely horrible and when I attempted to get them close to the right shape, they snapped. Crazy...

1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I use these aftermarket gaskets, and they don't leak

http://www.puch500.at/index.php?page=sh ... =1&lang=en
Cheers
Albert
========================
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Those look similar to what I used except the straight sections were bowed inward. I wonder if Scott has those..

1977 Austrian 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

the shape has to be identical, else they would not fit, but the material is different.
The ones you have are made of cork and rubber, mine are cut from gasket paper with a thickness of about 1 mm.

ask Prokschi if he ships abroad...
Cheers
Albert
========================