Electric Heater install.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
darstar

Electric Heater install.

Post by darstar »

I have a question that eludes me for the correct approach. I have a 24V electric heater in want to install for extra heat., it's 600 watt. Instructions call for a 60 amp. Alternator. the PinZ is 28-30 amp. No alternative that I know of within reason.. I am planing on adding 2 group 31 batteries, plus a battery tender....Problem all the tenders are very slow charge and doubtful the drain could be recharged over night that way. Problem, what to do, and how the wire the four batteries, or, not even incorporating the heater into the system. Looking for ideas ?
rmel
United States of America

Re: Electric Heater install.

Post by rmel »

Sounds like this is a 12V heater? I would not recommend you run that off the bottom
battery, even with a heavy duty battery equalizer your going to have problems. Lots of
info on electric heaters on the forum -- most not very favorable unless your looking for
a hand warmer :D but you don't want a battery killer!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

600 watts, divided by 24 volts, equals 25 amps. That's a lot from a 30A alternator. And 600W is only a third of one of those cheesy 1800W house heaters that don't do much.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: trying to heat air by electric is mostly a losing proposition. You'd be much better off finding electric heated seat covers or heated seats for the warmth you "feel" compared to the power consumed. There is a reason electric home heating is the most expensive method, as you have virtually unlimited power -- use enough and it finally works, but it costs a lot if you use enough. There just isn't enough electrical power available in a Pinz. Group 31 batteries have a "reserve capacity" rating of 160-200 minutes at 25A - exactly what your heater will draw. So that is 2-2/3 to 3-1/3 hours out of those batteries when drained to zero (which is horrendously hard on batteries); an hour is more realistic. Then they need recharging overnight (typically) or recharged by the alternator, probably close to maxing out its amperage. Seems like little return for the effort in my book.

If you want hot air I would heavily recommend that you look to diesel, gas, or propane fired heaters. In comparison, these can drive you out of the truck from the heat.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I tried out a couple of seat heaters (Amazon Basics, about $20 each) last winter and they worked fairly well with not very much power draw. They're 12V and use a lighter plug so I had to hook them to my 24 to 12V convertor. I slid them between the seat and the seat covers.

24V seat heaters are available here: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/24vodcpr.html along with many other 24V items.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Another seamless plug, Scott at EI has diesel heaters for a fraction of what they normally cost. I highly recommended that.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

How do you get heat to the feet? I can bundle up, but my feet freeze.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

You can use the floor blower, but that won't do the job entirely. Try insulating the bottom of your floor pan and make sure your drain plugs are present and in good shape. Otherwise you are just venting to the outside.

1977 Austrian 710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

How do you get heat to the feet? I can bundle up, but my feet freeze.
Electric Socks... :-)
Jim M.
712W and 710M
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

kdiqq wrote:You can use the floor blower, but that won't do the job entirely. Try insulating the bottom of your floor pan and make sure your drain plugs are present and in good shape. Otherwise you are just venting to the outside.
Good idea... In order to avoid adding some insulation (which usually doubles as a moisture trap) in a place that is designed to collect anything that drips from wet boots, do you think insulating the bottom of the aluminium floor plate would do a difference? I am a lot less worried with moisture trapped against aluminium than against the actual (painted steel) bottom of the floor pan.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

GenevaPinz wrote:
kdiqq wrote:You can use the floor blower, but that won't do the job entirely. Try insulating the bottom of your floor pan and make sure your drain plugs are present and in good shape. Otherwise you are just venting to the outside.
Good idea... In order to avoid adding some insulation (which usually doubles as a moisture trap) in a place that is designed to collect anything that drips from wet boots, do you think insulating the bottom of the aluminium floor plate would do a difference? I am a lot less worried with moisture trapped against aluminium than against the actual (painted steel) bottom of the floor pan.
Sorry, I said floor pan but I meant the aluminum piece you put your feet on.

1977 Austrian 710M
ako

Post by ako »

Jimm391730 wrote: Electric Socks... :-)
Just like this :mrgreen: :

Go to any motorcycle gear online shop and you will find items to cover your whole body.

Should be able to get a voltage converter to plug yourself into the truck instead of battery packs.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-heated-gear
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Come to Canada - we just kill baby seals and wrap them on our feet, arms, head etc
:wink:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have a picture in my mind of the guy that forgot to unplug his socks and is hanging out the door by his feet.

Baby seals...you brute!! :roll:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford