Turn signal switch smoking

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Brickren
United States of America

Turn signal switch smoking

Post by Brickren »

Hello. My turn signals have an operating really slow lately. I know I need a new flasher, and I was checking connections when I noticed the switch starting to smoke. I took it all apart and cleaned it with brake clean. While operating the switch I noticed the tab that slides between the two contacts was not completely off of the contacts in the neutral position. But while I had one turn signal on or the other, the one contact would spark and sizzle and smoke. I took a short video and posted it. I could get a new switch, but if I can repair this one I would rather do that. On the SAV site, they list 1 for an Austrian wired truck. I do not know if that is what I have. My brake lights are Amber and my turn signals are read on the back. Is this the correct switch? If I cannot fix this one I will have to order that one and I don't know the difference between the one on the SAV site in the one on Expedition Imports site. Thank you. Here is the link.
https://youtu.be/UlFqNGiSF_w
Attachments
The contact on the left is the one smoking and sparking.
The contact on the left is the one smoking and sparking.
IMG_20151020_171911.jpg (796.32 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Turn signal switch smoking

Post by pcolette »

The Austrian turn signal switch works fine on the Swiss Pinz's as long as you have completed the red brake light conversion. Leaving your brake lights amber, while original, is not safe on US roads. The conversion is not difficult and is covered here: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ion#p13725
and there are also other threads about it via the Search function.

I have the Austrian switch on both my 710M's that have red brake lights and the switch works great. I also coverted to more modern flasher modules.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

my turn signal does the same thing, though not on use, only when i have to crank the engine for more than a few seconds to get it running.

one rider nicely referred to it as "vapor"
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

While applying brakes, My left front turn signal comes on. Could this be the cause or result of turn signal switch failure?
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
ako

Post by ako »

Brickren wrote:While applying brakes, My left front turn signal comes on. Could this be the cause or result of turn signal switch failure?
Sounds like an earthing problem. If you turn signal switch has failed then it could be shorting out.

Try disconnecting the turn signal and then applying the brakes.
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

I have the main lead going to the turn signal flasher pulled. So the signals do not work right now. So for the left front turn signal bulb to come on when applying the brakes, what do grounding problem be at the brake switch? Or one of the wires leading to the turn signal. Even though there is no power going to the flasher, is there power still going to the turn signal switch when you apply the brake that would crossover to the left front bulb?
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Mine smoked once, just like yours did. I got a replacement switch from http://www.airheadparts.com The switch for a '71 VW bus is the same and the Pinzgauer, and the wire colors match. The new switch even cancels, something the old switch never did.
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

Tried fixing a connection on my turn signal switch. Fixed the brake lights, BUT shorted something else out (specifically when I press on the brakes and use the left turn signal), causing #11 and 12 breaker to pop. So I may have to buy a new turn signal switch. None was available at EI or SAV, except the Austrian model. I have stock Swiss.

Is this still the best place to buy the turn signal switch (airhead parts?)

Is it possible to just switch the wires for the amber/red portion of the taillight so you have red brake/turn lights and amber tail lights?
If the bulb is the concern, can we just replaced the bulbs with lower rated wattage LED bulbs?

Reason I asked is also because the conversion kit is no longer available.

Thanks
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

If you're willing to use other tail lights than original you will not need the conversion kit but just do the wiring modification that changes to dual filament bulbs. I think Hella still makes "cheeseburger" style tail lamps which are similar to the originals in appearance but are larger diameter. Also available as LED units.
IMG_0645.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg (457.97 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
You can then use the Austrian style turn signal switch. I have that installed in mine.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

That cheeseburger light does not look too bad. And can you still use the swiss turnlight switch or have to use austrian type?
At this point I feel more secure with a red brake light as drivers in CA are bad enough already. I don't want to get rear ended because they do not recognize yellow brake light.

Are the austrian switches more reliable? I see I'm not the only one with failures with the swiss type switch. The previous owner gave me 2 other failed switches with the sale.
If yes then cheeseburger may be worthwile.

Also is LED brighter and more reliable than incandescent bulb?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

You could probably still use the Swiss t/s switch but the Austrian unit is less expensive, has fewer wires and seems to work much smoother.

I imagine the reason most of us changed our tail lights was exactly for the reason you've said. Safer and more visible.

The Austrian switches are brand new vs. the 40+ year old switch you currently have so should last a while.

The incandescent lamps (https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... ake-lights) typically don't come with bulbs installed so you could substitute equivalent LED bulbs or purchase the lamp model with an LED array already in place (https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... -look-pair) OR (https://expedition-imports.com/SAV3525). If you switch to LED you will also need an electronic flasher (https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... all-models) since LED's draw less current and will not operate with the stock flasher.
Either way you go, you will need to do some minor re-wiring under the dash and at the tail lights as mentioned earlier in this thread.

If you decide to install new tail lights, it is a good time to take a close look at your existing electrical junction box located under the body at the rear of the truck. If it's original, it is likely to be corroded due to exposure to the weather. The new ones have a cover. https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... n-box-rear
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

Thank you Paul. I think I will try the austrian t/s switch with the cheeseburger lights with led bulbs. I think it will give more time appropriate look.

Is there another place to get the Austrian switch? You mentioned they are cheaper but from where I can see, they are 177 on SAV, and the VW bus switch (similar to the swiss switch) are 130.

Any idea what size LED bulbs I should get?
Seem they are described by their wattage only.

Thanks for the heads up about the connector. They are covered and are in good condition actually.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I think you were looking at the Swiss t/s switch at $177. The Austrian (https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... rian-model) is $113.

If you choose the pair of LED lamps ($99) they are complete with the appropriate LED's installed. If you select the less expensive lamps you will need to purchase 3 LED bulbs for each so the price climbs quickly. You'll also need to be sure that the bulbs are 24 volt compatible. www.superbrightleds.com is a good source if you can't find them locally. They are very helpful on the phone too.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

You're right. That made my day.
Thanks.

I just ran into threads about the JW speaker 265 and now I'm contemplating them. Because they have separate turn and brake lights I assume that supports the purchase of the Austrian switch also?

I need to research more to make sure that install is not too hard for newbies like me.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The Speaker 265's are a very nice lamp. Not original looking but very visible and well made. You can sometimes find them on ebay for under $100 each. Also here: https://headlightrevolution.com/jw-spea ... p-6-wires/

They are a bit more difficult to install, requiring an approx. 1" diameter hole for the wiring plug to pass thru. Also the plug is sometimes sold seperately as a kit and requires some crimping skills.
IMG_3065.jpg
IMG_3065.jpg (290.44 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
IMG_3058.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg (247.12 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE