LED Headlights randomly going out

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Last year I replaced my factory headlights with the new Trucklite LED's. They have been working great until a few months ago when they would randomly shut down for a minute or two and then come right back on. Both lights are doing this and it doesn't matter if they are on high beam or low. There seems to be no correlation to rough roads or smooth. I have notice that sometimes if the lights are out and I use the blinker they will flash in sync with the turn indicators. Also, sometimes when they are out I can get them to come back on by hitting the breaks but they will go back out when I get off the pedal. Could this be a grounding issue? When I replaced the lights it was just "plug and play". The shutdown seems to be completely random at this point. Nothing like rolling down the road and having your headlights suddenly go out :shock:
-1972 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: LED Headlights randomly going out

Post by pcolette »

Since it's both headlights shutting off it is most likely the ground at the headlight relay. The panel that the relay (and flasher, etc.) is mounted to provides the chassis ground where its bolted on below the windshield frame. Removing the panel and cleaning up the mounting points may solve your problem.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Thank you. I'll give it a shot.
-1972 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

It might also be the headlight relay itself - there is a funny thing with some other LED lights I have noticed - the lower current can result in the contacts of a switch or relay not "cleaning" themselves as with regular incandescent bulbs that draw higher currents and especially much higher inrush current when turning on - so the much lower current can result in the contacts getting oxidized and not conducting well... At least this is a theory at this point.

I suppose the same thing can also apply to a less then ideal ground wire as well - might work OK with incandescent but not with LED?

I would try changing the headlamp relay after verifying the grounds are good. The situation with the blinker does suggest a grounding issue...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I pulled and remounted the panel. All the wires on the relay are tight and nothing looked out of sorts to my untrained eye. Still had the same issue on the way home tonight. Once the headlights go out they will flash with the turn indicator.
-1972 710M
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Odd one, especially the goes on and off part with turn signal and breaks.
Might want to try a hot bypass 24V direct to the lights, ya always on but
this is just to see if the behavior changes. If it stops behaving this way points
back to the control path. Oh, one more question, did both headlight behave
this way EXACTLY at the same time or did one start doing it then later the
other one as well?
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

They both drop out simultaneously as far as I can tell. When they start to come back on they are intermittent for a short while.
-1972 710M
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

When they go out are you able to use the high beam? High beam and low beam are on separate circuits. If high beams work, you know it's a low-beam issue. If both are out, then you know it's a ground issue (or light issue).
1977 Austrian 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Neither will work. The plot thickens. I've been sitting out here for 30min with the lights on. Not even a flicker....
-1972 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

Sat for 30 min with engine stopped and zero issues. Ran for 20 min engine on with zero issues. Will see how the morning commute goes.
-1972 710M
ako

Post by ako »

By process of elimination, you could put the original lights back in.

If they are playing up it would be a wiring issue.

If they work perfectly it would be more to do with the LEDs and the low currents as mentioned above.

Hope you haven't thrown the originals out :lol:
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

When the headlights go out, do the dash lights go out as well?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I have thought about that Ako, I still have the originals "somewhere". Kdiqq as far as I can tell all my other lights stay illuminated even when the headlights go out. As suggested above I'm going to try a relay swap and see what happens. This mornings commute seemed ok but with the time change its hard to tell if they are on or not unless I'm right behind somebody.
-1972 710M
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Let me know if you reach a dead end, we can swap stuff off my Pinz and see if we can't remedy it. also have a volt meter if you need it.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

I am having this exact issue as well. Can't wait to see what you figure out, because I'm pretty stumped at this point.