Speedo needle bouncing

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
waterdog
Paraguay

Speedo needle bouncing

Post by waterdog »

Does anyboby have an idea why my speedometer needle is bouncing when running,its impossible to read speed cause jumps about 10 kmh back and forth,,,,,,,
,,,thanks folks!!
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
kdiqq
United States of America

Re: Speedo needle bouncing

Post by kdiqq »

Yes!!!! I had to pull apart an old speedo and learned how they work. So you have a speedo drive in your differential and turns at a rate consistent with your driveline. This spins a cable that turns the odometer and then turns this metal wheel. This wheel rubs against a spring-loaded disk that drives the speedo. The faster the wheel spins, the more it can rotate the disk, thus moving the needle higher up the speedo. Yours is jumping because the wheel and disk are skipping. This is normal for a speedo of this type and age and your odometer is still correct.

Sadly I have no idea how to fix it. A lot of guys here swap out to an electronic speedo.
1977 Austrian 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

A bouncing speedo needle is usually a sign that the speedo cable needs regreasing. While you have it out check for broken filaments. If you have any replace it.

Cheers, Clive
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Gotta do the same to mine, I figure it's the cable as 63Rover suggests
1972 710m
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

soooo.. to check the cable should i dissasembly bottom end, plus remove gauge??? or can i pull the cable from one end???
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I haven't had to one on the Pinz, sorry. Best to check the manuals.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Most speedo drive cables were round, with square swaged ends. I would expect that you can just pull the cable out of the housing from either end. But as I've never done this to a Pinz I can't say I know for sure. But it does make me think that I should do some maintenance and grease mine as well, it hasn't been touched in at least 12 years...
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

They make cable spray lubricant for motorcycles, wonder if this could be used instead of pulling out the cable? They can be a bear to get back in their sheaths and you can fray them pretty easy, at least on same vintage bikes.

Though, no experience with pinz speedo cables, just thinking out loud.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

If I get the weather and time, I might try and pull mine this weekend. If so, I will report back the process.
1972 710m
ako

Post by ako »

Texas710 wrote:They make cable spray lubricant for motorcycles, wonder if this could be used instead of pulling out the cable? They can be a bear to get back in their sheaths and you can fray them pretty easy, at least on same vintage bikes.

Though, no experience with pinz speedo cables, just thinking out loud.
My thinking is on the same track as yours. I have a tool for lubricating motorbike cables like this :

It is a motion pro cable luber (google it if you want to see it working). It works well but I think the Pinz speedo cable would be too large of a diameter to work.

But, you could buy a small plastic funnel and put it over the cable end. Then use electrical tape or whatever to seal between the cable sheath and funnel end.

Then holding the funnel upright just keep spraying WD-40 into the space between the the cable and the sheath. Keep spraying until it has hopefully seeped inside the guts of it.

I think 3 or 4 cans would do :mrgreen:
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The usual method is to pull the core from the top (back of the speedo) clean and inspect for broken wires. If none are found grease (not oil) and carefully insert being careful to gently turn as needed to re-engage the end drive. Broken or frayed wires require a cable replacement. Likely this is the same but check the manual just to be certain.

Cheers, Clive