710K map-reading lamps

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
unipus

710K map-reading lamps

Post by unipus »

I have officially joined the Pinz club with a 710K in pretty excellent, near-stock condition! :D So, now, of course, the tweaks and fixes begin. Mechanically it's sound, so it's mostly a lot of electrical things and upgrades, and I'm trying to start small.

So first: the articulating map-reading lamps in the back! It took reading the operating manual cover-to-cover, but I finally realized that they are designed NOT to work unless all three doors are closed. GREAT, I though, and rushed out to try it. No luck. So then I look and see that one of the leads to the rear door switch was not connected, so the circuit wouldn't complete. Okay, so I re-attached it. Problem solved? Unfortunately, this didn't do it either.

Any ideas on what I might be missing? Yes, I've turned on the main power that activates the rear dome lights first.
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710K map-reading lamps

Post by rmel »

Got a DVM? Lots of things could be wrong, bad switches, poor connections blown bulbs.
Harbor Freight has a couple of cheapo's but will do the trick.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
unipus

Post by unipus »

I don't, but I probably ought to invest in one.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Harbor Freight often has one for free with purchase, check the flyers when you go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
KD4GT

Post by KD4GT »

That is the "Black Out" feature. Really! If the curtains are all down covering the windows and the mesh at the front of the radio bench, then the enemy can't see you. If you open a door, all the light leaks out.
I will need to go check which, but there is a wire you can pull on that relay up by the passenger side lamp which will defeat the Black Out feature.
unipus

Post by unipus »

Not unless I'm somehow misunderstanding how the feature works, it's not. (or unless there's some magical 1970s way the Pinz can detect if the blackout curtains aren't down). I've definitely tested it while making sure that all 3 rear doors are in contact.

Anyway, I just got the truck back last week from its trip to disaster, so I'll get back into looking into this soon.
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

So my 710K inside lights are working the way they are suppose to, BUT the blue light in the rear does not go on when the doors are open. Bulb is fine. The clear light in the rear turns on with all doors closed, along with the front clear light and the two articulating desk type lights. The blue light in the front turns on with the doors open. I look at the white cone switch near the passenger desk type light and doesn't seem to have any loose connection. This is the swiss version, if that makes a difference, and stock to my knowledge.

Any ideas where to start trouble shooting this.

Thanks
Kelvin
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Probably have to trace that blue light wire back.

Mine's Austrian but the blue/white function works fine when the doors open.

I don't have the Austrian articulating lamps (been looking for those forever with no luck) so it is only the overheads.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

If I am understanding you correctly, your description narrows the problem down to the rear blue light only. The relay and switches are fine. Troubleshoot the power to that rear blue light with a voltmeter to find the break. In my experience it almost always a grounding problem at the light.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

My K has a push-pull switch mounted near the relay for the rear lights (above, but right behind the co-pilots head) This switch enables or disables the power for the articulating/blackout lights.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mike

'76 710K
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

I have a pull switch near the right side articulating lamp to activate the lights in general and another pull switch above the rear door to activate just the rear white/blue lamp.

I realized the color wiring schematic I found here is for an M. Anyone know where I can find one for a swiss K?

Whitesik: maybe a very basic question, but can you tell me where is the ground on the rear blue light? Is it just the hardtop shell?
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Without looking, I believe it grounds directly to the body with the mounting screws. I can check tomorrow. A simple, step one check is to remove the lens and bulb. turn on the light, and check voltage between the single bulb power feed and another area on the body to provide ground. if you have voltage, then good. work on grounding the light. You do not have a wiring problem.
75 Swiss 710K
W9YG
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Just posted the Swiss K schematic, English and French. Under TECH Sessions.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

And I believe the light in question is #67 and switch #73.
75 Swiss 710K
W9YG
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

I think it is 57, the blue rotating light. Which has blue wires. I traced it last night and found both wires connected at the relay as shown in the diagram. The connection looks good but the plastic cover was quite fragile, I broke them off trying to pull the spade connectors off. Given one is working I think your hypothesis of grounding issue is the most likely suspect.

Switch 73 is to the white light at the rear, #67, which is working.

I find it interesting that the three door switches that activates/deactivates the white and blue lights are in series instead of parallel. I would think that if all three doors needs to be closed to complete the circuit, then it would be in parallel.

Thank you for the schematics rmel. Let the hunt begin.