running lights turn signal

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Steve C406

running lights turn signal

Post by Steve C406 »

My headlights and tail light/brake lights work but the orange running lights and turning signals ( as well as the hazards) do not work. Has any only experienced a similar issue?
Thanks,
steve C
NEWFISHER

Re: running lights turn signal

Post by NEWFISHER »

I thought the front thrn signals were only " turn signals" and not combo running lights? I need to read through the schematic again.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Stupid question hopefully, but you have checked for a tripped breaker, I assume?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Steve C406 wrote:My headlights and tail light/brake lights work but the orange running lights and turning signals ( as well as the hazards) do not work. Has any only experienced a similar issue?
Thanks,
steve C
If you have a Swiss spec'ed Pinz ( circuit breakers no fuses), your brake lamps and turn indicators were combined originally, and some one has re-wired it along the way.
But as Paul said, check the breakers.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

This is what I have learned on my Pinz, the wiring diagram indicates the front outer amber lights are turn signal only. There is a hazard switch and hazard flasher on the left of the steering column. Have you tested these?
Steve C406

Post by Steve C406 »

The breakers have not been tripped....I assume that that it is ok since my break lights work. Right? I have tried to turn on hazards but nothing. could be as simple as the switch. What about the signal handle it looks like there is a circuit board (of a type) inside this.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Might be your flasher, it would be a common point of failure for turn and hazard.
You could try metering around the terminals to see if you have 24V on the proper
terminals, if you do try bypassing it to see if the turn signals are hard on. SAV
has a replacement unit, that I believe are solid state -- they work a whole lot
better esp. if you upgrade to LED signal lights.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Steve,
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but I'll try and make sense of it as best I can. Here's how I read it:
Steve C406 wrote:The breakers have not been tripped....I assume that that it is ok since my break lights work. Right?
If you're assuming that the breakers have not been tripped because your brake lights work, it may not be a safe assumption. In case you haven't already done so, just push each breaker in again and see what happens. Like Dave wrote, things could be wired weird.
Steve C406 wrote: I have tried to turn on hazards but nothing. could be as simple as the switch.
Sure. Or a loose wire connector, defective flasher, bad bulbs all around, etc. Some of these may actually be easier to repair than the switch. But since more than the directionals are effected, the turn signal switch wouldn't necessarily be my first suspect.

Steve C406 wrote:What about the signal handle it looks like there is a circuit board (of a type) inside this.
There is a thread on here somewhere about disassembling the directional switch for repair. But I wouldn't go diving in there unless the switch tests bad and you need to.

I think you might be better off with a voltmeter and start measuring where you have voltage, and more importantly, where you lose it. An ohmmeter will allow you to determine whether you have a bad ground. If you have voltage to the lamp/s and a good ground, the lamp/s will light. Do you own a multi-meter, and know how to use it?
Steve C406

Post by Steve C406 »

Thanks for all the help! I will get out the volt meter and start there. Stand by for the results
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

In addition to the Pinz schematic, you might find these standard Flasher and Hazard terminal definitions useful
for tracing out and metering things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552. Yup Puch did follow standards :)
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q