Hella 91/46 - 24V Headlamp relay

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Dreadnought

Hella 91/46 - 24V Headlamp relay

Post by Dreadnought »

Anyone know a good source for this, I have contacted all my auto outlets, they say only 12 and 6V are available even on E bay? would a 12 v work...even if with a short lifespan......the one on my Pinz looks original and mines a 1971........I would be happy with a lifespan of 15 years or more...I,d just buy 2 !
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Hella 91/46 - 24V Headlamp relay

Post by TechMOGogy »

72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks for the quick reply Techmogomy......I,ll keep this in mind as a last resort! $69 I can live with, but I am at present in Poland and Poland customs and excise has some kind of 'war' going on with america.....I bought some axle boots a couple of yrs ago and Polish customs decided that the import duty would be like 3 times the worth of the boots! So on $69 item I am going to pay maybe $50 in Polish customs tax. I,ll check out German places first. Least I know I can get one if need be. It,s just the dip that has failed I still have all my lights.....I may even take it apart and play with the points..I can't make it worse :shock: or can I?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Get the 12V relay, measure the coil resistance. Then get a resistor of the same value and put it in series with the coil, you can now safely power the coil/resistor combination with 24V. You will probably need a 10W rated resistor.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks Jimm thats one of the things I will have to consider......being in Eastern poland it would be peanuts to get that made up.....the auto shop also suggested if I get a 12V they can recommend a guy who will up it 24v for peanuts........getting things in is expensive, but when here a complete rewind and refurb of a starter motor is like $20.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Bein in Poland you can order tax free within the EU from S-Tec.
Go to http://www.puch.at and shop at the manufacturere.

I got mine last year within 2 days.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Thanks Hotzenplotz...they say it is on order at the moment.....but I will order as soon as they have one.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

.I may even take it apart and play with the points..I can't make it worse :shock: or can I?
If you are careful, you can easily take it apart - see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6911&p=49037&hilit ... lay#p49037 and I have some photos of the inside of the relay. Jim L. said in an earlier post that a bit of WD40 or similar lube can help to free up the action.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Jimm I am getting to the point where I want to take it apart.......that old curiosity that infects people like us...!!! hell I would take an atomic warhead apart after a few months pondering!!! just couldn,t resist.