EMP attack

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Brickren
United States of America

EMP attack

Post by Brickren »

I have a question as to the survivability of a Pinz in an EMP attack. In the original configuration shielded cables and points, would Our truck still run? I imagine alternator would be toast as well as all bulbs, but would she still run? What additional steps and precautions would one have to make to make her survive? I already have my foil hat, so this is a question I would like help with. BTW, I am looking for a points setup if someone wants to part with one. Thanks, Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: EMP attack

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I've been in these conversations a few times and as far as I understand it, most of the Pinz would be fine. The areas of concern in that theoretical scenario are more micro-electronic related, like aftermarket ignitions and injection circuitry, if you had it. Light bulbs aren't affected and most of the alternator would be fine... maybe the regulator could (unlikely) suffer. ?

The stock ignition/wires/plugs wouldn't be affected regardless; the shielding is for radio interference issues and I don't think the points would be affected.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: EMP attack

Post by Jimm391730 »

It also would depend on just how close the Pinz was to the EMP - given a strong enough (being close enough) pulse, even a Pinz would be toast. But the energy of the pulse falls of by the square of the distance so twice as far gives only 1/4th the energy; ten times as far is 1/100th the energy, etc. I would guess that many modern cars would survive in the outskirts of a blast; a stock Pinz might survive anything beyond ground zero. Shielded cables for the plugs do not have much value; the "loops" of wire that they create is what the EMP preys upon, but the pulse would just create a spark at the plug. Same with bulbs - the energy would just go into trying to get them to light up, but the EMP is so fast that they would never have time to glow. As Vince said, the tiny electronics may not have a place for the energy to go and that is what will cause the failure.
Jim M.
712W and 710M