710M Top Center Antenna Cap/Plate

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
bbolander
United States of America

710M Top Center Antenna Cap/Plate

Post by bbolander »

I ordered a spare top center antenna cap from SAV since I'll be drilling mine for my CB and Ham antennas (will only use one of them at a time). The SAV diagram shows a 4 hole cap like mine, but they sent me a 6 hole plate. I'm fine with using the plate instead of my cap if it works. The underneath of antenna base shows bosses for 6 holes, but I can't get my cap off to see if they are threaded. I've asked SAV about this but thought you guys would know.

How do I get my darn antenna cap off! I've lightly tapped it with a hammer from underneath but it isn't budging!

If I can get mine off, are the 6 bosses in the base threaded? If they are I can use the plate and drill it for the antennas instead.

Here's a picture of my base with 4 hole cap, and the 6 hole plate that SAV sent me:
IMG_1156 copy.jpg
IMG_1156 copy.jpg (138.98 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
Here's a picture of the underside of my base, showing bosses for 6 holes:
IMG_1157 copy.jpg
IMG_1157 copy.jpg (349.76 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710M Top Center Antenna Cap/Plate

Post by rmel »

The 4 holer is a standard Nato 4.5" BHC mount, the 6 hole is not, you got the wrong part.
You may wnat to look at this thread first, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10187,
there are options for CB, GMRS, and HAM antenna. For CB I would recommend using the existing
plugged hole near the passenger door -- look for a grommet near your mirror mount. It's a good place
for CB or GMRS on the trail. What HAM bands are you looking to run? 2M/70CM? There are some MIL
bases all depending upon the band of operation that may be of interest -- mounts direct to the 4.5" BHC.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I am glad to see this topic posted as I have some similar questions. I have been looking for the 4 hole gasket that goes under the cover plate but EI and SAV appear to only have the 6 hole parts listed. Does anyone have a source for these gaskets/seals or other recommendations other than trying to make my own.

Also to Rmel, is there a way to use the mil bases for 2m/70cm? Perhaps this should be another topic.

Thanks!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I've seen that thread, excellent discussion on antennas! We're using 2m/70cm dual band for ham like all of our groups use. We also have Yaesu VX-5R handhelds.

My brother and I are partners in the Pinz and we had extensive discussions with one of our Early Bronco friends who is a ham/CB expert on where to put ours. Some we ruled out from preference or performance concerns. We decided to put ours on the top of the roll bar that's designed for antennas as the best location for performance even though it's harder to get to. We don't need to run both CB and Ham at the same time, so I'm putting the stud mounts for both CB and Ham at the same location like I recently did on my new Rubicon tire carrier.

We ran an SWR test on peoples rigs several years ago at an Early Bronco club picnic and found that antenna's mounted near the belt line that are near metal body parts or tires didn't work so well. For example, I had 3 ft mag mount antennas sitting on my Tuffy storage box about 1 ft away from the roll bars in my ex-2006 Rubicon LJ. We moved them another foot away from the roll bars and the SWR improved dramatically. I'm talking about the typical modern 3-5 ft antennas. Probably different with very tall military or whip antennas.

I'm using a Diamond NR770-HB 4 ft no ground plane folding antenna for the ham. I've hit repeaters strongly at 30 miles away with it on my Rubicon with no attention to grounding and I love the antenna's performance. I'll be using a Yeasu FT-7900R in the Pinz. I have a Yeasu FT-8800R in my Rubicon and it's been great. I'm using a Firestik flexible CB antenna on a spring, either a 3 ft or 5 ft that I already have. The CB antennas are very touchy needing tuning and a good ground, harder to get right. I didn't want to go with a 2 ft no-ground plane Firestik, might be too short. I'm not interested in going to a military mount or military antenna myself, although that's a really cool way to go. I'm using a Uniden PRO520XL CB in the Pinz. I have a PRO510XL in my Rubicon. Small, great performer and more military looking.

We know the top location will be a tree magnet, but we'll deal with that for the best performance location. We can just fold the ham antenna over for that and use the spring for the CB antenna. If we lose a cheap Firestik CB antenna, no big deal. Here in Southern Nevada and Southern Utah where we'll be doing the most trails, not so many low hanging trees around anyway!
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I expect that since my base shows only bosses for the six smaller holes, those are not threaded. They would probably have to be drilled out and threaded to use. Not sure I want to deal with that. I just wanted the spare cap to use in the future if desired since I'll be drilling holes in mine! Has anyone had the cap off to see if the six bosses are threaded?

The large bolts had a sealant on them when I removed them. I'm guessing the cap itself has sealant or is rusted on the base. Any tricks to getting the cap off?

Where can I get a Nato 4.5" BHC spare replacement mount if SAV doesn't have them?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Gotcha, your looking for best possible radiation....

For CB, ground and metal obstacles are a more significant factor, so location will influence radiation. But, it also
depends upon were you do your wheeling. I go through areas with dense brush and low overhangs so, getting the
CB and GMRS antennas out of the way was important. Range is still pretty decent.

For 5/8 wavelength VHF/UHF antenna it will perform pretty well almost anywhere on the roof, even without a good
ground reference or counterpoise. I hit repeaters 30 to 50 miles with no trouble on 2M, less range for UHF.

If you can't find a gasket for your ant. mount, I would use Marine grade double sided bonding tape. Relatively thin,
complainant, seals incredibility well and will last forever. I've used this on mounting all sorts of things that required
strength and water tight.

As far as a 4.5" BHC Antenna base, for multipurpose use, one option would be a direct feed-through. For example a
Shakespeare Model 4244 spring base. It would need a small adapter to go from their thread to 3/8" mount. The Mil
surplus guys get these in from time to time. You can buy them new from Shakespeare but expensive.

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Has anyone made a blank plate to eliminate the antenna base. I need the couple of inches to clear a support beam in the garage. Any tips?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Air down :wink:

No really!

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Yea, thought about that. Might have to for long storage. Kind of annoying when I'm just looking to keep the truck out of the rain.

I was able to try again tonight. The door just closes behind the truck before I make impact with base. Good enough for me!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Since the antenna base itself is insulated from the roll bar by the rubber gasket, the RF grounding of the antenna base and cap is through the mounting bolts. So I'm planning to coat the bolts with SANCHEM 2OZ TUB NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL CONDUCTIVE GREASE ANTENNA ANTI CORROSION before I re-install them.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

SAV just confirmed that they did send me the wrong cover. They do have correct used caps like mine and they are sending me one. They made a mistake and are responding to make it good really well.

The correct round cap is SAV part number 7131950581U group 31-35-03 in case anyone else needs one.

The flat plate they sent me goes on the non-Swiss side antenna mount.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Great to hear as always (all our vendors are great!) and thx for the updated part number, completes the thread for future users!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Looks like American-Milspec just got some feed-through bases in for the Shakespeare broadband whip 30-500MhZ.
Brand new for just under $60 Just bought one, for what I dono :?
https://www.american-milspec.com/p-6765 ... -used.aspx

bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I received my correct replacement antenna cap today. So everyone will know, here are pictures of the top and underneath side. There's a curled lip on the bottom that meets with the round gasket. The side of the cap doesn't contact the base except through the bolts and the curled lip. So RF grounding should probably be done by cleaning off the bottom of the bolt heads, cleaning off the paint on the top underneath the bolt heads for the cap and the base, cleaning off the paint on the underside of the cap where the antenna studs mount, and using NO-OX-ID A on the bolt threads for the cap and the base.
IMG_1207 copy.jpg
IMG_1207 copy.jpg (956.65 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
IMG_1208 copy.jpg
IMG_1208 copy.jpg (970.82 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I keep thinking I'm done with this. Previously tried to tap the cap off the base with no success. But today after drilling my antenna mount holes and cleaning burrs and paint, the cap came right off! It just sits on the gasket and is bolted to the base. The base 6 hole bosses visible underneath are NOT tapped for the 6 screws. I've drilled the holes for the CB and Ham antenna mounts. A step drill worked fine. The cap seems to be aluminum. Here are a couple of pictures:
IMG_1209 copy.jpg
IMG_1209 copy.jpg (771.89 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
IMG_1210 copy.jpg
IMG_1210 copy.jpg (804.64 KiB) Viewed 5755 times