New to me Warn 12-C-Industrial Civilian Hummer winch, 12v

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
stiffler4444
Canada

New to me Warn 12-C-Industrial Civilian Hummer winch, 12v

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi all,

So I have taken possession of a Civilian 2006 H1 Alpha winch, rated at 12K. Of course it is 12v, but at the price I couldn't pass. I'm not fond of the whole "hook it up to 24v and hope for the best" scenario. Anyone running a 3rd battery setup and winch combo that might want to chime in?
I will continue to search this site and through google, but thought I might be able to poach someone else's setup (after all, you wouldn't want all that planning and trial and error to go uncredited!).

thanks Dave
1972 710m
63rover
Canada

Re: New to me Warn 12-C-Industrial Civilian Hummer winch, 12

Post by 63rover »

Hi Dave,

I've looked into the possibilities. A 24-12v converter with a 12v charger for the winch battery seems the way to go. I've got 2 large jumper packs that do the trick (chargers built in). They have shut off switches for the high amp, low amp and usb feeds. Takes a minute to hook to the winch leads but the advantage is that one can be used or the second added in parallel for extra amps since the added power of the alternator is not available without a very expensive converter. I decided not to hard wire them so that they can still be used in series to jump the truck if necessary. They also run the cooler, lights and anything else I want when camping with no risk to morning start-up.

I've had my truck 3 years now and only needed to be pulled out once due to my own stupidity. (broke the walk it first rule, the take a buddy, and the slow as possible before the as fast as necessary rule too!) Since the winch seems to be so seldom needed I put my 15000 lb pull on a removable mount and only take it along when it needs to work like the magic umbrella that prevents rain, to prevent me getting stuck. So far, so good.

Only 5 months to the Roaming Rally!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers, Clive
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Thanks Clive,

Would you be able to provide me with some specs/brand of your charger packs? Always helps me to get a visual via google what I'm working with and then I can go from there. Sounds like a very comprehensive system that will achieve more than just winch function.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Dave
1972 710m
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Some off topic discussion here on 12V winch setup:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10433

Either way, adding a AUX 12V battery or Equalizer off the 24V system has
challenges, pro's and con's.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

rmel wrote:Some off topic discussion here on 12V winch setup:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10433

Either way, adding a AUX 12V battery or Equalizer off the 24V system has
challenges, pro's and con's.
Good read, thanks for posting the link. I guess there are decisions to be made and many of those will be based on expected usage. I anticipate very rarely.....of course, as with all good plans....... :|
1972 710m
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

I have a matched pair of 700 cca Motomaster from Can. Tire. They regularly go on sale under $100 each.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

63rover wrote:I have a matched pair of 700 cca Motomaster from Can. Tire. They regularly go on sale under $100 each.
Ok, thought that might be it. I have one in the garage.

thanks Dave
1972 710m
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have the equalizer in my shop that I would sell if you head that way.
Its a Vanner Vann-Guard waterproof 60 amp equalizer out of a 24v bus!
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

TechMOGogy wrote:I have the equalizer in my shop that I would sell if you head that way.
Its a Vanner Vann-Guard waterproof 60 amp equalizer out of a 24v bus!
Cheers,
Dan
Thanks Dan, I'll let you know!
1972 710m
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

You've maybe sorted this now, but I've run a 12 volt warn winch direct off 24v for a while without trouble. It cost me nothing, which is why I did it. As I understand it, it is the motor speed that destroys them, so I always pulse the switch when not under load to keep the speed down. Once the load is on, that keeps the speed down anyway. Its done several hard recoveries now without trouble using it like this.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Ian wrote:You've maybe sorted this now, but I've run a 12 volt warn winch direct off 24v for a while without trouble. It cost me nothing, which is why I did it. As I understand it, it is the motor speed that destroys them, so I always pulse the switch when not under load to keep the speed down. Once the load is on, that keeps the speed down anyway. Its done several hard recoveries now without trouble using it like this.
I have looked into this and while it can shorten the life of your winch it is the way I am looking to go for a couple reasons:
- my winch will be for the odd recovery 0-2 uses per year probably at most - 12v winch at 24v will last a while
- I want 1 winch for both the Pinz and G, I can only drive 1 at a time - this method fits the bill

There are a lot of people that do this
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

TechMOGogy wrote:
Ian wrote:You've maybe sorted this now, but I've run a 12 volt warn winch direct off 24v for a while without trouble. It cost me nothing, which is why I did it. As I understand it, it is the motor speed that destroys them, so I always pulse the switch when not under load to keep the speed down. Once the load is on, that keeps the speed down anyway. Its done several hard recoveries now without trouble using it like this.
I have looked into this and while it can shorten the life of your winch it is the way I am looking to go for a couple reasons:
- my winch will be for the odd recovery 0-2 uses per year probably at most - 12v winch at 24v will last a while
- I want 1 winch for both the Pinz and G, I can only drive 1 at a time - this method fits the bill

There are a lot of people that do this
For now this is the way I will go. Again, usage will be minimal and the 12v winch was the "right" price.
1972 710m
scoot
United States of America

Post by scoot »

How bad is it to mount a winch like this on the pintle on the front bumper with a hitch adapter?
FDNY 343
Always remember 9/11/2001
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

scoot wrote:How bad is it to mount a winch like this on the pintle on the front bumper with a hitch adapter?
I'd hazard a guess that it's not a great idea. Too much downward force and you'll bend your tube chassis.
1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

How bad is it to mount a winch like this on the pintle on the front bumper with a hitch adapter?

I'd hazard a guess that it's not a great idea. Too much downward force and you'll bend your tube chassis.
Most every Pinz winch bumper I've ever seen only mount to the tubular frame extension (there is not much else to attach to, and not an easy way to strengthen the extension). Other than the possible twisting motion of the pintle mount itself, the stress to the Pinz frame is the same. You do not want to have a heavy pull downwards from the winch, or too heavy a pull sideways. But there is much more strength for pulls that are close to in-line with the frame extension. YMMV, it depends on how much pull force you create.
Jim M.
712W and 710M