No brake lights or rear hazards

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Rookie
United States of America

No brake lights or rear hazards

Post by Rookie »

I know its been covered before i was up late reading thru all like 10 pages on the electrical section. I have breaker 12 popping.im not really good on diagnosing electricals but learning i believe its the hazard switch so i ordered one if anyone wants to chime in with some of your previous experiences with this that will be great.its a 1973 712 m with petronix everything was working well till yesterday checked the brake switch for continuity and there is thanks in advance guys
pcolette
United States of America

Re: No brake lights or rear hazards

Post by pcolette »

Under the rear of the body mounted on the body toward the passenger side of the tail cone is an electrical junction box for the rear lighting circuits. The original box was open to the weather and road debris. The wiring often corroded and shorted out. The newer junction box has a cover (photos attached). I'd look at that first for any obvious shorts, etc. After that I'd check that the rear lights have good grounds to the body, another notorious problem.
New Junction Box.jpg
New Junction Box.jpg (464.97 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Inside New JB.jpg
Inside New JB.jpg (333.3 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Thanks pcoolette I will check that junction box.I did order a new one from sav just to eliminate that as a culprit.my flasher switch keeps on grounding out also and popping the fuse #12 I opened the flasher control moved some legs around that I thought were touching and no more spark but after using a few times it started popping again.if I disconnect the emergency flasher switch from the firewall and let it hang it doesn't pop the breaker.but I'm getting 24volts from the face of the switch the metal plate.i know it's simple but I'm not good at trouble shooting electrical systems
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I have the old style exposed junction box and its coated in mud and debris.. I wasn't aware of the new style and haven't yet been successful finding it on the part drawing. Does anyone have a drawing/part number they could share please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Group 09-80-36, Part #7111850610
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Well guys im happy to say that got fixed now i have rear brake lights and rear hazards it was the emergency flasher switch after all.looks like the old one was grouinding out had a short inside the contacts somewhere that i couldnt see thanks for all the suggestions