Low Voltage Warning Light

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Doug308
United States of America

Low Voltage Warning Light

Post by Doug308 »

Hi guys. Got ny first warning light since buying my 710 M a couple of months ago.

While driving on road (had been driving about an hour) my low voltage light came on. She kept running fine. Headlights were not on. However, turn signals worked and the fan worked as well.

The odd thing is that I had charged my batteries a few days before.Using directions I got from another post on this forum which gave directions on charging both batteries at once. As a simple fix, I was thinking that I should start by disconnecting the batteries and charging them separately. I understand that it could be a few things, but wanted to hear from the voices of experience what the most likely issues might be.
No one is coming. It’s up to us.
Doug308
United States of America

Re: Low Voltage Warning Light

Post by Doug308 »

UPDATE; Okay, so I had both batteries tested and found that one of them was pretty iffy. Replaced that battery but am still getting the low voltage light. Starts and runs fine. But a light's a light.

Any suggestions?
Doug308
United States of America

Post by Doug308 »

UPDATE; Okay, so I had both batteries tested and found that one of them was pretty iffy. Replaced that battery but am still getting the low voltage light. Starts and runs fine. But a light's a light.

Any suggestions?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

My experience is that the warning light is an indicator of the alternator charging status. So, possibile causes are: - loose or worn fan/alternator belt, - failing regulator, - worn brushes in the alternator. Maybe a couple of other things too but those 3 are the most common. I'd start with the fan belt since that's the easiest. The belt, alternator and brushes are all available from the usual 2 sources. Good luck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Don't forget to check the Molex plug too. Bad connections and/or corrosion there are an easy fix.
Check the sticky here for battery charging info, if you haven't.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
Doug308
United States of America

Post by Doug308 »

Thanks for the help guys
montieth
United States of America

Post by montieth »

Have you put a DMM on the batteries while running to see if the system is even charging?
Ryan Gill
15 Recce Re-enacting Group

1943 Humber Mk IV Armoured Car
1947 Jeep CJ2A basket case
1960 Daimler Ferret
1972 AM General M35A2
x2 M514 1Ton2Wheel Trailer