Pertronix D186604 install

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Pipster69
Mexico

Pertronix D186604 install

Post by Pipster69 »

Hello,

I am a total NOOB in this and I have no real knowledge of mechanics so please bear with me...

I bought a 1972 710m in working conditions and after 6 months the Ignition system started to fail. I have been struggling to find a good mechanic that knows what to do here in Mexico but one of those mechanics did change the whole distributor to one for a VW Jetta. It did work for a while but now it is no working again. Another mechanic asked me to buy a Pertronix D186604 distributor and a PerTronix 40011 Coil, after spending around 500 USD he told me that he can not install the pertronix distributor since the he can't connect the 2 cables of the distributor to the harness that the Jetta distributor has.

All I want to know is if it is possible to use the pertronix distributor and coil that I bought on the pinz? or do I need to look into buying the original system or try the PinzSSI 2.0?

Thanks
rmel
United States of America

Re: Pertronix D186604 install

Post by rmel »

Sounds like swap until you drop strategy not good.

First I suspect the original distributor you had was perfectly
good and should not have been replaced -- hope you kept that.

Second, that flamethower coil is intended for 12V applications
not 24V.So I'd put the brakes on this project and rethink the
whole thing.

You need a far more knowledgeable mechanic, one possibility,
would be find a shop that specializes in off-roading, be it buggies,
jeeps, or ATV's. Go there, look around and see what vehicles
are in the yard and bays. You should be able to tell if they know
their stuff buy the stuff they work on. Failing that, I'd suggest
moving up to the PinzSSI, it is definitely a DIY project, the instructions
are excellent. Though you will need some basic tools to to this
installation.

Good luck.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Second for the Pinz SSI

You'll have to set up a separate 12V system (easy enough) and then it's really just drop in and go. Much cleaner looking installation and the truck does run better/cleaner.

Lot's of stuff that could fail that would give a poor running condition (molex connector, RPM limiter to name a couple, it's a good idea to save your spares as they may be good or rebuild-able
Pipster69
Mexico

Post by Pipster69 »

rmel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:27 pm Sounds like swap until you drop strategy not good.

First I suspect the original distributor you had was perfectly
good and should not have been replaced -- hope you kept that.
The mechanic that changed the original distributor never gave me back the original.
rmel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:27 pm Second, that flamethower coil is intended for 12V applications
not 24V.So I'd put the brakes on this project and rethink the
whole thing.
When they placed the Jetta distributor they ran a cable from only one battery so that it ran on 12v according to what he explained to me (I can see the cable they ran) So probably I would just go for the PinzSSI and forget about it.

I picked up the Pinz today after the mechanic finally installed the Pertronix distributor and the coil and it runs very very sluggish (uphill almost to a stop) and also backfires (explosions)
rmel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:27 pm You need a far more knowledgeable mechanic, one possibility,
would be find a shop that specializes in off-roading, be it buggies,
jeeps, or ATV's. Go there, look around and see what vehicles
are in the yard and bays. You should be able to tell if they know
their stuff buy the stuff they work on. Failing that, I'd suggest
moving up to the PinzSSI, it is definitely a DIY project, the instructions
are excellent. Though you will need some basic tools to to this
installation.

Good luck.
Very very hard to find honest mechanics here in Mexico. Most of them won't even touch it since it is no0t fuel injection and you can't hook up a scanner....
Thanks so much for your help and advise, I will most definitely get the PinzSSI and give it a try.
Pipster69
Mexico

Post by Pipster69 »

Texas710 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am Second for the Pinz SSI

You'll have to set up a separate 12V system (easy enough) and then it's really just drop in and go. Much cleaner looking installation and the truck does run better/cleaner.
I already have the cable ran through from one battery so it is at 12v. I will definitely go for the PinzSSI, sounds like the best solution out there.
Texas710 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am Lot's of stuff that could fail that would give a poor running condition (molex connector, RPM limiter to name a couple, it's a good idea to save your spares as they may be good or rebuild-able
I also think my carts are not properly tuned and synced, I will have to try and sync them my self since no mechanic will come close to a carburetor in my location...

Thanks so much for the advise!
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I picked up the Pinz today after the mechanic finally installed the Pertronix distributor and the coil and it runs very very sluggish (uphill almost to a stop) and also backfires (explosions)
Sounds like the timing was not set properly. I'd ask these guys how they set the
timing and how did they do it, should be in the pall park of 3 to 5mm advanced
from TDC. Possible they forgot to clamp down the distributor and it's "shifting"
on the fly.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I would caution against running any system directly off just 1 battery. Do some searching about after market accessories and there is a lot of discussion about this issue. Basically, you'll wear out your batteries faster with the 12v drain. Look into getting a 24v to 12v converter. This is how most run their SSI systems, radios, and other accessories that need a steady clean source of 12v. Just a thought (but you can run it off a tapped battery if needed).

It does sound like you are having an issue with timing. Not sure if you are aware of how to set timing on a 4 cylinder engine or if you have a service manual for your truck, there is some information on here , lots more in general on the internet. Not the hardest thing to do, but would be worth exploring to see if thats the issue. Lacking a manual, read everything you can on the forum.

Start on one thing and get that fixed and then look for other issues that could be causing problems. Get a carb balancing tool, nothing like it. In the end, it's air, fuel and spark. Make sure all those systems are good. Fuel lines/filters are working properly, air filters are clean, carb is synced and delivering right amount of fuel and air, and you have a strong spark at the right time.

Not sure about your mechanical abilities, but this is all stuff you can do with a service manual and a screwdriver, no mechanic needed.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

PinzSSI runs on 24 volts, a converter has been used since the introduction of the 2.0 version.