710 Taillight solutions

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

710 Taillight solutions

Post by ChickenPinz »

What's the consensus on US-ifying the Swiss taillights on a 710 to make them more consistent with US driver/LEO expectations, and to add backup lights?

I've searched the forum, and many of the links are dead.

Ideally, I'd like to stay with the original looking round tail lights, but am open to other options as that doesn't solve back-up lights. For now, I've simply swapped upper/lower bulb connections in the junction box so I get "normal" (but dim) brakelights for daytime operation.

I could go with the TD lights (https://expedition-imports.com/7161850240), but I believe there are other wiring changes and I've heard discussions of fit issues.

What have people done to theirs, and what do you like?
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710 Taillight solutions

Post by rmel »

Done that conversion on my 710, and slated for the 712.
Note LED back-up flood. Link below on another thread.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 8&start=15
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

rmel wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:42 am Done that conversion on my 710, and slated for the 712.
Note LED back-up flood. Link below on another thread.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 8&start=15
I like that location for backup lights -- round lamps where the existing reflectors are. Makes good sense.

Still waiting to hear how people resolved the wiring issue...
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

I went these combo lights that I found on Amazon and have had a positive experience so far...

Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

And how did you address the wiring to separate brake from turn-signal wires?
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

That's a question to address to Jim Laguardia, as he did the original conversion, but I believe that you repurpose the blackout light circuit to achieve the separation...
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

ChickenPinz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:02 pm And how did you address the wiring to separate brake from turn-signal wires?
Do a forum search on "Running lights out". That thread should help you understand how to convert the rear wiring to a dual filament version.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Thanks! Now I just need to get those lenses to come free from their gaskets, and find a new dual-filament socket that'll retrofit in appropriately.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Incidentally, the wiring is significantly different between the Swiss versus the Austrian Pinz'ies.

The Austrian version is a bit closer to what is desirable. It has a far simpler column turn switch
with few contacts and far more reliable. The Swiss version runs the switched brake power through
this switch -- it's a hokey setup IMO, but it works. It's easy to defeat and move in a better direction.

If you want a back-up light, see if you have the pressure switch on the back end of the tranie. When
under the truck, from the ass end of the tranie, it would be to the top left from the output shaft.
Some have it some don't. My 710 does and the 712 doesn't. If you don't see the switch you should see
a plug for it. It's a ZF tranie , and used on some European commercial trucks (vingate) with this gearing.

As I mentioned I too need to make this conversion on my 712, add the Switch, reuse the black-out
wire to power a back-up light etc.

As luck (bad) would have it, I was just all over this area fixing some oxidized connections.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

For my Swiss 710K, the brake light wiring change was pretty easy:
- Remove the double-orange wire connector from the 4-way flasher switch
- Find the rear-headed wiring harness connector over your right knee under the dash, and free the orange wire that's tucked into the harness jacket. Mine already had the socket crimped on it.
- Push that wire+socket into the plastic housing into the only open slot until it clicks

You're done! The orange wire at the rear is now brake lights and you can connect that up to your modified or new-style taillight assemblies. For good measure, I protected the exposed wire by the 4-way switch with shrink-wrap.

Disclaimer: I don't use the trailer connector so cannot comment on any side-effects.
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (228.51 KiB) Viewed 5451 times