Voltage Regulator

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
lifefloat
United States of America

Voltage Regulator

Post by lifefloat »

Okay.

I have an idiot gauge in the truck that displays voltage at the 24V utility plug in the cab at the dash. It's actually a phone charger with a LED voltage display incorporated in it. Believe it or not it's pretty accurate! Against my fluke it is right in there within a 1/10 of a volt.

Today I saw it hit up in the 29V range while driving.

This struck me as a bit high. I'm usually around 27.5 or so charging.

Checked batteries.

Sure as sh*t one of them pushed a little water. Not much but hey. Checked voltage at batteries while running and observed 28+ and hitting 29+ at idle.

I'm suspecting voltage regulator.

If so...…………..are the SAV one's any good? I cleaned up the molex connectors and saw the design of the factory Bosch (which was quite sexy actually) and it looks nothing like the SAV one.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Voltage Regulator

Post by pcolette »

I've used the regulator from SAV on a couple of 710M's with no problems. I've never found a source for the original Bosch product. The units I purchased from SAV were almost identical visually to the Bosch unit. Do you have a photo of the regulator in your Pinz?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Thx for the quick reply on that...…..

I'll snap a photo tomorrow of what I have.

Soon I'll have to start posting pics of my ride anyway. It's turning out pretty sweet considering I do not have an air conditioned garage and unlimited funds.

The factory Bosch has an aluminum backer and is secured to the tub by two studs visible on the passenger wheel well.

I'm curious how the SAV part secures to the body tub. If it is like the original it is a no brainer purchase at $36.00
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The SAV units I purchased were a direct swap for the original.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

pcolette wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:57 pm The SAV units I purchased were a direct swap for the original.
Okay...…….good to know...…….thx for your input.

I've got a small order for Sarah now. Including this regulator.

I'll post back on my findings with the new regulator.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Okay...……..………………..direct bolt up on the SAV part. A little lighter in weight than the original Bosch part but hey...it's 2020 right?

My initial suspicion that the VR went bad was the 4500 rpm light came on. At low rpm. And I boiled off a touch at the battery.

Put a meter on it and yep...……...high charge voltage at the battery.

I'm hoping I diagnosed this properly. Albeit with some good luck on my side. Didn't have to dig to far into the rig.

Now...………………………….28.5 at the battery. No 4500.

running well

all things considered

How can I test the VR out of the truck to confirm? Trash part? Or not?
hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli »

Dont forget to check the molex connector under the crest of the air-leading-hood next to the distributer ... when this is rotten/bad contact ... you can observe the same symptoms!

I replaced it by a superseal connector like that: https://www.amazon.co.uk/QISF-Waterproo ... 165&sr=8-7

Regards ... Simon