Testing ballast Resistor

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
sprbxr
United States of America

Testing ballast Resistor

Post by sprbxr »

I recently bought a non-running 710M. I am trouble shooting multiple issues. One of which is a no spark condition. Is it possible to test the Ballast Resistor on a non running Pinz other than output voltage? I am guessing the Pertronix failed based on going through Pertronix troubleshooting guide. I found a used Pertronix hall sensor digging through some boxes of parts I got with truck which makes me think this has happened before.. I think the second one that is on the truck is bad too.
I am getting a full 24v supplied to the coil which, from my searching, is a possible cause of failure. I have run Pertronix systems on multiple other vehicles and have never had any issues.

Thanks
rmel
United States of America

Re: Testing ballast Resistor

Post by rmel »

The ballast resistors fail OPEN, so the fact that you have 24V on the coil suggests it's good.
And....when you "Push to start" the resistor is bypassed to get the largest spark possible to
get stated, release the button then the Resistor is in circuit. You may have a bad coil or
the Pertronix is bad -- but make sure there's no bad connection somewhere. What coil do
you have? It should have a relatively low Ohms reading. Otherwise it's bad.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
sprbxr
United States of America

Post by sprbxr »

It has the EI Civilian conversion. The coil is a Bosch 12v. If I bypass the the Pertronix unit, I get spark at the plugs.
I used the trouble shooting guide Pertronix provides and it states voltage should drop to 0 each time the magnet passes the Hall sensor but that is not happening. Voltage remains between 18 and 24volts as the engine is cranked over.
cc rider
United States of America

Post by cc rider »

Did you ever find out what was the problem? I have a similar issue with my Pinz,