volt meter install

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
lifefloat
United States of America

volt meter install

Post by lifefloat »

Recently came across a nice vintage 60mm VDO volt meter. Looks a lot nicer than that plugged hole on the dash. Where would be a good place to tap power for this?
RPinAZ
United States of America

Re: volt meter install

Post by RPinAZ »

Lots of places would work. I'd probably go with terminal 61a on the ignition switch.

-RP
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Yeah...................there are a multitude of places to tap a hot lead for the gauge..........I was kinda hoping there would have been a note in the factory wiring schematic for it but nope. Hence my question to the forum.

I am installing a multitude of other voltages on the vehicle and when I get to that point of this project I will be able to read vehicle and house battery voltages much more accurately than this gauge but nice to have a quick reference staring at ya while you are at the wheel.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I proposed connecting it to the same circuit as the hour-meter, and that should be called out in the schematics.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

I see that hour meter now...it's on the ignition control lamp switch version..........I have the black-out light switch version. Was looking at that particular schematic.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Well............three weeks later........finally got around to hooking up that voltmeter..........tapped the hot lead off of the lead for the ISO 4165 socket on the dash. Nice thing about that spot is that as soon as you turn on the main battery switch the voltmeter goes active. :D
RPinAZ
United States of America

Post by RPinAZ »

I didn't think about it before, but if you've bypassed your 4500 RPM Module like many have, you could plug into that connector for power coming from the ignition switch as well. Anyway, glad you got it done.

I see you're in the keys - we miss it down there, old stomping grounds - my wife and I both grew up there.

-RP