Samlex DC-DC converter operation

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Samlex DC-DC converter operation

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I first ran the Samlex converters when I got into the pinz. After replacing far too many of them I went with a few of the cheap chinese knock offs. My oldest one was installed in '06 and still going strong. I chose to tie into the power box behind the passenger seat as it is switched with the trucks main shutoff. I also chose to go with ATI style fuses in lieu of breakers simply because of ease of use and availability at the time. In todays market I might consider marine breaker assemblies just because you don't have to carry spare fuses. As time has gone by I have gone solar for all non-truck related electronic needs so the only items running through the converter now are the radio, CB, gps and some cab lighting. On all my trucks I try to size the converter to be rated twice what I believe my peak demand would be.
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Made a little progress on my converter install recently. I've got the main power run from the batteries using 8ga marine wire, with some braided sheathing over top. Overkill for a 20 amp converter I know, but I had it on hand, and if I ever need to bump up the converter size I should be good for another 30 amps or so.
IMG_20220428_162120357.jpg
IMG_20220428_162120357.jpg (926.18 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
The one thing I wasn't entirely sure about were the grounds and if a shared location would be troublesome for any reason. Part of me thinks that the body is all the same ground so it shouldn't matter, but then again, the converter has two separate ground connections so maybe it does?
IMG_20220428_125850154_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220428_125850154_HDR.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1285 times
A Maxifuse protects the whole aux converter circuit.
I also added a cross sectional bracket to the batteries to keep them more secure. I really can't see how the factory bracket does much to secure them. Every time I opened the box door it seemed like the factory brace had slid off one of the batteries, but now it all stays put. Maybe different battery shells from the original to the current or something. A new 2ga tie cable replaces the old haggard one and cleaned up terminals round out the refurb...for now. A new 2ga main cable is on the list.
Once the weather starts to cooperate I should be able to wrap this up in no time.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Your Ground connections are perfectly OK.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Great! Thanks Ron.