Battery replacement

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzinator

Battery replacement

Post by pinzinator »

My 710M had batteries dates 2016 and 2017, and a test showed that both were showing their age. These were Group 27 Maxx batteries that I bought at Walmart back in the day, and they held up well. I read an article recently on battery ratings, and it said that Maxx batteries had a high rating. Both were originally made by Singer Controls.
I first checked with Costco for new Interstate batteries, and just like NAPA, they had none in stock and would be getting 4 more on Wednesday, which was in 5 days. Not acceptable. Price- $92.
So I went to Walmart to see what they had, and there were 2 Group 27 batteries available on a Friday, it was my lucky day. Cost- $119. Like Costco, the Maxx batteries have a 3-year replacement warranty with pro-rating after 3 years. Be sure to save your receipt, and make sure that you get credit for the cores. They messed up on my credit, so now I have to go wait in line again to get that straightened out. Other than that, the Pinzgauer should be good for a few more years.
On a side note, I found a battery tester on Amazon that seems to work quite well for $33. I have several vehicles and tested the battery in every one, and this tester came back with accurate results. 3 batteries were bad, something I was already suspicious of. I charged the battery beforehand and then ran the test.
61iNs0P5KWL._SL1500_.jpg
61iNs0P5KWL._SL1500_.jpg (98.59 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Re: Battery replacement

Post by ChickenPinz »

Having gone down the rabbit hole of "what's the best battery choice?" recently, I settled on the AutoZone Duralast Gold variety. FWIW, I never go cheap on my batteries, but I don't go too fancy after some bad Optima experiences. I used to be a DieHard fan, but those are not what they used to be...
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

ChickenPinz wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 pm Having gone down the rabbit hole of "what's the best battery choice?" recently, I settled on the AutoZone Duralast Gold variety. FWIW, I never go cheap on my batteries, but I don't go too fancy after some bad Optima experiences. I used to be a DieHard fan, but those are not what they used to be...
FWIW, I got 8 years out of my first pair of Optima Yellow Tops and am now 4 years into a set of Optima Blue Tops that are still very healthy and perform exceptionally well for my application. I have seen bad things happen with Optimas when charged inappropriately, but from my experience I have to give them top marks.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I went with a normal Duracell after having a lot of problems with AGM batteries, like the top tier Bosch versions. There seems to be some charging issues with AGMs on older vehicles, especially if they aren't driven like an everyday car. Not sure what is technically the issue and no one seems to have a solid answer out there.

I went through two of those very expensive Bosch batteries in a short time (well under 3 years). I had an Optima problem too on another vehicle that wasnt driven often, although I had great luck with a red top many years ago on my old Lrover but they were built somewhere else back then.

I went down a bunch of research rabbit holes too and now I think just getting some classic old Interstates is the best route overall.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

What is the charging voltage of a Pinz?
Tjerk
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

25 to 30 volts would be good, give or take a half volt, engine running. It depends on current load and the battery state, too. With the engine off you should get 25 volts at the battery posts when fully charged.
Last edited by pinzinator on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

Thus with that low voltage, only the old type lead-acid batteries will do?
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:03 pm There seems to be some charging issues with AGMs on older vehicles, especially if they aren't driven like an everyday car
The Pinz is my DD. That may explain the longevity of my Optimas and why I've not run into charging issues. The deep cycling of the Blue Tops is essential to the function of my truck as a micro-camper, without having to add the complexity of a house battery and isolator.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]