Battery going dead

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
JimmyC

Battery going dead

Post by JimmyC »

My batteries are going dead on my 710. I checked the voltage at the batteries and it does not rise with engine running. I opened up the Molinex connector that goes to the alternator and there is quite a bit of corrosion in there, probably my problem. I will replace it when I have time or have to, but hoping to clean it for now. Does anybody have any suggestions besides just spraying it with contact cleaner and deox? Also, my charging failure light never came on. It does come on with ignition on/motor not running. Any thoughts?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
rmel
United States of America

Re: Battery going dead

Post by rmel »

The Alt light could appear to be working normally as long as your Battery is at least 18V AND the
DF output from the Alternator is good AND there is a good connection to the regulator. Though
if you look at the bulb you may see it very dimly lit.

What lights the Alt lamp up is the difference in voltage between the Battery and the DF output.
Normally, a ON Alt lamp and a running engine is an indication that there is no voltage from the
DF output indicating a bad alternator.

I'd try using alcohol and a dental pick to get that oxidation off the pins. A very lite touch of
dielectric spay on the terminals to prevent more oxidation. Do a few repeated insertions to
scuff up the mating surfaces.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks RMEL. I hit the connector with some elecroclean as it was the only thingI could find. Got it surprisingly clean. I plugged it back in and cranked it up and the voltage went way up, like 39 volts according to my meter. I unplugged and replugged a few times and it was showing 28.something when running, more or les normal.

I hate to sound dumb, but what is DF voltage?

Also I noticed that the two forwardmost of the six wires inthe connector have been clipped off at some time.

I am away for the next month. Just wanted to get it going in case somebody needed to borrow it. I wil try to look at the wiring diagram. Might order a new connector for my next maintence go.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I actually mistakenly referred to DF when I meant D+ !!

There are two outputs from the alternator, D+ and B+.

B+ is the high current output to charge the battery.
D+ on the other hand is monitored by the regulator
to control the amount of current on the "DF" the field
winding to output more or less voltage. The D+ and
B+ outputs are connected through the warning light.
Thus id no D+ then warning light it ON.

Sorry if I was a bit confusing.

cheers,
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I "lost" my alternator one time on a trip. It was scary watching the batteries drain in real-time, being over 100 miles away from the house. Turned out, it was the grounding lug for the alternator that had worked loose, easy fix, but definitely something to check.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

If you saw variability with moving the connector around, and you've already reported a lot of corrosion on the contacts, honestly, I'd replace that connector. It's a pay-me-now or pay-me-later situation. I'd not consider it urgent (stop driving now), but I'd consider it a risk in the field if you don't replace it as the plating is likely damaged and it's going to corrode much faster in the future. You don't need to change the whole connector -- just the contacts.