How to remove springs from distributor

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Hugues
Switzerland

How to remove springs from distributor

Post by Hugues »

I bought a timing light and checked my advance at RPM with warm engine,
as you can see in below chart, above 1300 rpm, my advance (red dots) is too much compared to normal range
I would think the springs in my distributor's centrifugal system are not stiff enough anymore.
I see S-Tec selling spare springs.
Removed the distributor cap today, as pictured below, how can you replace the 2 springs ? that shaft and rectangular plate does not appear to move out, at least not when pulling on it a little.
Any advice ?
as can be seen in this video of a Bosch distributor (different model but similar), the rectangular plate and cam shaft can be removed to access the springs.

https://youtu.be/mrO1UoTtdHA?t=522

advance (1).jpg
advance (1).jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 596 times
springs.JPG
springs.JPG (77.18 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Hugues
From Switzerland
pcolette
United States of America

Re: How to remove springs from distributor

Post by pcolette »

If I remember correctly, you will need to remove the distributor from the engine and then carefully remove the spring and then the pin that holds the drive cog to the bottom of the shaft. You should then be able to remove the entire shaft assembly from the distributor housing and will have access to the springs.

Hope this helps.

Paul
IMG_3467.jpeg
IMG_3467.jpeg (682.22 KiB) Viewed 581 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Hugues
Switzerland

Post by Hugues »

Found an old post about this in the German forum:
https://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.p ... 39#p116439
it is possible to remove the distributor top shaft without removing the distributor from the engine,
Here is how i did it:
https://youtu.be/YO5GwCaZgGo?si=qBYe65BGVJN_DmWg

I then managed to install 2 new springs and my advance is now closer to the standard range, green dots below.
Not sure how i could improve it more. Shaving some metal from the centrifugal weights ? Not sure it's worth it.
advance (2).jpg
advance (2).jpg (116.69 KiB) Viewed 496 times
Hugues
From Switzerland
Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

As your graph shows your distributor is advancing too early and at maximum nearly 6 degrees too much.
Below is a link to a DIY video that explains the function of the springs, spring posts and end stops, and how to adjust/modify the advance curve.
As you have the correct specification it would be to your advantage to take the distributor to a tune-up shop that has a distributor test bench to re-spec it.

Tjerk ZS1J

https://www.google.com/search?q=distrib ... ARGUE,st:0
Hugues
Switzerland

Post by Hugues »

Tjerk wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:21 am As your graph shows your distributor is advancing too early and at maximum nearly 6 degrees too much.
Below is a link to a DIY video that explains the function of the springs, spring posts and end stops, and how to adjust/modify the advance curve.
As you have the correct specification it would be to your advantage to take the distributor to a tune-up shop that has a distributor test bench to re-spec it.

Tjerk ZS1J

https://www.google.com/search?q=distrib ... ARGUE,st:0
Thanks for your input.
My Google search results might be different from your, would you have the link to that specific video?
I get many links with distributor tuning with vacuum advance, which we don't have on Pinz. Would be nice to see how can I tune the springs.
Hugues
From Switzerland
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Has anyone come up with the ideal advance curve for the Pinzgauer? It would take a few minutes to reprogram the PinzSSI to that curve if it were available.
Hugues
Switzerland

Post by Hugues »

pinzinator wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:13 am Has anyone come up with the ideal advance curve for the Pinzgauer? It would take a few minutes to reprogram the PinzSSI to that curve if it were available.
Isn't the ideal curve the one shown in the Pinz manual (which i use for ma chart below)?
By the way, I managed to mostly fix ma advance by slightly turn back the distributor on its shaft,
I had played with it 2 weeks ago in an attempt to get the #1 spark at TDC, but probably turned it too much.
Now the new data on the picture below, blue dots, looks better, i'm only a little late at idle and low rpm, i prefer it that way than being too early at high rpm and under load.
advance (3).jpg
advance (3).jpg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Hugues
From Switzerland
Hugues
Switzerland

Post by Hugues »

pinzinator wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:13 am Has anyone come up with the ideal advance curve for the Pinzgauer? It would take a few minutes to reprogram the PinzSSI to that curve if it were available.
Also, what are the alternatives to centrifugal weights advance on the Pinz ? I think Pinz SSI could do this, but I understand they are no longer selling these, and their website seems down.
Hugues
From Switzerland