Typical bus voltage?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Typical bus voltage?

Post by ChickenPinz »

What are folks seeing as their typical bus voltage at RPM? I'm seeing 27.1V @ 2500RM at the batteries with all lighting off, and am wondering if that is typical for these trucks.

I have all the documentation and specifications, so I'm not asking if it's in spec, but simply trying to understand what do people typically see on their own vehicles.
Stumbler
United States of America

Re: Typical bus voltage?

Post by Stumbler »

I've seen varying voltage based on the condition of the batteries. I have permanent voltmeters attached to each battery. During driving they will read anywhere from 12.8 to 13.1 each at idle, (12.3 to 13.1 with engine off) up to about 14.8 to 15.4 each, if the batteries are low and accepting a lot of charge from the alternator during revving or regular driving. As the batteries charge fully, it will drop back down to about 12.8 to 13.1 each. FYI ... My voltmeters draw close to nothing, in case you decide to do this. They are directly attached to each battery terminal. I think I calculated that it takes about 3 to 4 months for it to run the battery down, if I left it without driving it at all.