Am I able to use this type of battery???

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Heed

Am I able to use this type of battery???

Post by Heed »

Gents,

I realize that we have hashed out the battery topic many times, but I am able to get a deal on some Deka Gel-electrolyte batteries.

My question is aimed to those electrical "gurus" out there.

Would anyone be able to advise whether or not a battery other than the typical Group 34/78 type can be used?

Here is the battery I am thinking of;

[/url]http://www.apexbattery.com/deka-solar-b ... s.html[url][/url]

It is a 57 Ah deep-cycle battery, unfortunately no info on cold-cranking amps (as it is typically for solar power applications.)

Thanks
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
ka

Post by ka »

i can tell you one problem gel's have is the gel separating from the plates. agm's cant do that. i'm not sure how often that happens, tho.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Sure, you can use that battery. However, as Ka mentioned the gelled electrolyte is not as "dependable" as AGM; the gels also have a much more limited current capacity. The Pinz, having a small and low compression engine running at 24V draws much less current than normally expected from 12V cranking systems. So I would guess that you might expect only 50% of the life from these gelled batteries (just a guess on my part) and you will probably not get as long of continuous cranking from them (if you couldn't get the Pinz started) without some rest time between tries (maybe a couple of minutes).

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are mostly wet cells with a "sponge" (the glass mat) that keeps the liquid electrolyte from sloshing and leaking. They are closer to wet cells in performance.

Since the Pinz cranking draw is so low in comparison, the battery size isn't really an issue; you just have to decide how much reserve you want in the batteries. The Swiss stock batteries had huge reserves; I once fouled the plugs (was running realy rich one winter) and probably had about 20 MINUTES of total cranking going on before I got it to start; the wet cells never even began to complain.

I would weigh the use of the gel cells based on how good of a deal you can get; unless they are less than 40-50% of a known good AGM, I think I would just spend the extra for Optima or similar batteries. I found some Optima "Blems" from a dealer for $50 each a few years back. AND the Optimas have an 18 month non prorated warranty (36 mos total). I left the converters on for a month accidentially and really killed the Optimas; got free replacements for my goof. Can't complain about that!

Jim M.
712W and 710M, both with Blue Top Optimas.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I just bought 2 red top Optimas at Cosco for $115 ea. and they came with 3 year free replacement. These are what I call the "baby" red tops,but more than enough for a Pinz. I put them in my Powerstroke diesel and they really spin. Price is certainly right.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I installed a pair of Sears Die-Hard Gold series batteries last year. 7 year guarantee, I think the first 3 years are no charge replacement, the last 4 are pro-rated. Mine show no sign of leakage, and no stuff building up on the posts, even though they have been shaken up quite a bit off road. Since Pinz batteries aren't subjected to heat I would bet these will last 7 years or more. I prefer lead-acid batteries personally.
The part numbers are S33127/K437455. About $110 each.
These are physically the same size as a stock Pinz battery, except the posts are reversed. This means you have to buy a new tie cable to replace the old short one, those are under $10 at any parts store, such as NAPA. Chances are the original is shot anyway.
Heed

Post by Heed »

Thanks for the replies Gents! The stock batteries didn't last this winter. I guess I should have put them on a Battery Tender. Oh well, live and learn. I won't make that mistake on whatever type I end up buying.

Basically, the above batteries are better than a "deal", because they are free! They have been slightly used in a non-automotive application as a redundant back-up system.

Given that they are usable, I will make them a temporary solution until I can get some new AGM's. I sent an e-mail asking a Canadian distributor about their Odyssey batteries. Amazingly, in these economic times, they are not in a rush to even bother with ordering me a pair! I guess I'll go back to looking at the Optimas.

Pinzinator: Thanks for the reply about the Sears batteries. I think I want to go with a deep-charge battery though.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!