Trailer plug

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Jerbearyukon

Trailer plug

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well I know it's been awhile since I have posted. Firstly it's not because I am not driving one or dis-interested just real busy working, hunting, fishing, biking and building our health business. Anyway it's nice to be back.

So I am trying to wire up a trailer (just a regular truck bed - converted to a trailer).

So I have a 2" reciever hitch from EI but I need the plug and if there is a way you can make it work without changing the bulbs to 24 volt all the time.

Anyway hope everything is well with everyone.

Jer
krick3tt

trailer lighting

Post by krick3tt »

Jer,
Leave the bulbs at 24v and even if they are hooked to 12v system all that will happen is that they will not be as bright.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

They also make LED's that run on both 12v to 24v

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/1224vledlights.html

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Another approach is to add resistors to lower the output voltage of your Pinz going to the trailer. It is a basic OHM law.

You need to measure the current of the circuit by placing the Multimeter in series with the circuit and once you know the current of the circuit you can find out the resistor size you will need to install by applying the OHM law.

R=(Vin-Vout)/I

Where R is the resistor you wil have to buy, Vin is the voltage provided by your Pinz (24volts in this case) and Vout the Voltage you wish to obtain (in this case 12V).

Once you have the current "I" and apply the formula and obtain the Resistance "R", then you need to calculate the wattage your resistance will need to withstand.

That is obtainable by using the formula P=(Vin-Vout)*I

Once you have the values then will will buy a balast resistor that has the resistor value calculated on step one and also can withstand the power calculated on step two.

It will be something like 25ohm/35Watts (the figures are hipothetical)

The resistor will look like this:

You can install the resistors in your trailer and bypass them when using the trailer with a 12V vehicle.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Jer:

If I were you I will go with Miles' solution... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Jerry,

Good to hear from you again. I was beginning to worry that you'd maybe been unlucky out bear hunting, or something.

I too agree that the LED tail-lights would be the ideal solution. The only disadvantage to that is the cost.

Good luck.

Paul Underwood
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Jerry
Ol' mate--The simplist way if you have room where the existing 12v lights are on the back (turn signal/tail brake) is to run an extra cable set down the trailer for the 24v system then fit the two extra 24v lamps along side. Stick a trailer socket on the end that is unique to the Pinz (unique anyway) and yur done!
I know its DC current, but for an AC Sparky like you that shouldn't be too difficult :lol: --You could even get some of those magnetic lamps that the tow truck guys use and have the whole set up totally QD if you have a loaner trailer.
We have done scores of these for the local Colorado Pinz guys--Cheap and cheerful :wink:
Cheers to you up there--Any snow yet? :twisted:
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

From SAV http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV2645 There are several ways to do it. You'll find several threads by using the search function on this forum.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

dennis said*You could even get some of those magnetic lamps that the tow truck guys use and have the whole set up totally QD if you have a loaner trailer. *

Well HFT guy here again...magnetic trailer lights 969330 std 12v bulbs,and 66186 12v leds. The leds are under $30.
This is a "hobby" job for me and I get some killer deals,so I have tried many of their products. These work well as long as the road isn't too rough. I used some on my trailer for my Pinz when I went camping with my Daughter and we took my F-150. I remember saying something about taking them off when we hit the dirt....Well the trailer was jumping every which way in big directions behind the truck but we were very comfortable.....Well we stopped for some reason and I noticed all I had was the pigtail and about 10 ft of wire! :shock: Just FYI!
:lol: :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks guys - (Paul) and no I didn't get taken out by a grizz YET :wink: ....three bluff charges though this spring and :shock: ...that was interesting. Had to put him down cause he killed my buddies horse this spring and he was hanging too close to his house. Saw a huge one a few days ago and there is another dandy out there I am going for this next week.

I have to get the socket first I guess and I think changing the bulbs would be the overall easiest way so far.

Dennis - (I will phone you on monday about the plug ok bud) .No worries on the wiring (RIGID CONDUIT IS GOING TO LOOK FUNNY THOUGH TEE HEE) . we have snow in them thar hills baby 8) . We got a bison the other day and she was about 10 so there was 450 lbs of meat after de-boning her. That will get us through the winter.

Winter is coming.

THanks again everyone for your insight.

Hope everyone has put away some rations for the next few months and fuel and a gen set.....Just thinking out loud

Jer Bear
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Awesome! Where did you buy it? is there an online supplier of it, may be you can give us the brand so we can search it online...
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

CHACAOCOP
1973 712M