starter back plate questions ?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
norcal pinz
United States of America

starter back plate questions ?

Post by norcal pinz »

I just went on a starter changing adventure and i have some questions thank you
i finally got my starter in after getting the tip here on the forum to remove the clutch slave, to make removing the top bolt on the starter allot easier [thanks]
So after i got everything in and tight i started it up and it worked fine except i could hear the flywheel hitting the starter sounded like chirping so i grabbed the starter with my hand with the engine running and i could make the hitting stop by putting pressure in the starter.
So i realized the STARTER BACK PLATE was bad the rubber was coming off the metal causing the starter to fall away from the motor and making it rub
Now on my older pinz there is a piece of metal that holds the top of the starter back plate holding it firmly so the starter wont sag over time and also it takes the place of the two top bolts making it easier to replace im wondering why my older pinz has this and the "74"k" does not it almost needs to be there because the starter is so heavy? I know some pictures would of been nice, sorry. I ended up taking the starter in and out twice in a row and after swapping out with the good backplate and the holding piece i realized my clutch wasn't working. I know what i'm doing next Sunday.
710M 1972
710k 1974