Alternator removal and reinstall

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzinator

Alternator removal and reinstall

Post by pinzinator »

The alternator in my 710M was recently beginning to talk to me in a tone that meant nothing but trouble. In the past I've learned that when this unit in any vehicle starts to make a strange sound you had better pay attention, or don't drive very far. Even with good bearings a failing alternator doesn't sound right.

Here's the engine before the fun began, and I mean that literally because the Pinzgauer engine isn't really that difficult to work on. You can appreciate that it was designed to be serviced in the field when doing this kind of work. The solid core plug wires were made by Thilo in Prescott, AZ.

The plug wires and distributor cap removal make the forward sheet metal accessible.

Once everything was out of the way I removed the entire fan housing as a unit with the alternator and fan still attached. Only 4 bolts hold it in place, all are easy to get at.

Here's the fan housing removed. I took it to the alternator shop just like this so they could have the fun of trying to remove the fan. After soaking the shaft for 2 days it came right apart.

According to the shop, the rotor was failing- even though it was still charging OK. They had it rewound at a specialty shop in Washington state as a new part would have to be to be shipped in from Germany. The rest of the internal parts were replaced with factory parts I had on hand. As you can see, the shop returned the alternator looking and functioning like new.

The fan housing back in place with a new seal, and all cleaned up. I replaced the alternator harness and cleaned the engine cylinders while it was apart. The red wire coming out of the distributor goes to the tach, and we all know how accurate that is.

A last look before the cover is installed.

All back together and running, with the belt properly tensioned (3 shims in, 1 out). With all electrical devices operating simultaneously I registered less than 1/2 volt drop at idle. The voltage regulator was replaced, too.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Great write up and photos - thanks!
This thread goes in my archives for future reference.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Next time call me before sending off. I have a place that rewinds them locally to increase output to 50A :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Jim and Pinzinator:

Around 8 years ago while driving my Pinz from Pleasanton to Mission Viejo in California, suddenly the truck filled up with smoke and one light on the dash (don't remember which) ligth up. I panicked, stop the engine and checked the source of the smoke. It came from the batteries. I left the Pinz and towed it to Stefan's place in the now non existing socal -pinzgauers. (Sorry to bring you bad memories Jim)

Stefan told me that the problem was that my voltage regulator failed and that is what cause the issue. He replaced it and all was good afterwards.

The question is: Where is the regulator located at, and how can I prevent this from happening again? Will a voltmeter gauge help?

Thanks.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The voltage regulator is located just forward of the coil. It is a black plastic and metal square (approx. 3") with a 3-wire molex plug in the face of it. SAV has a photo on their website under part number SAV2606. If I remember correctly, the current regulators offered are aftermarket models since the original Bosch unit would be very expensive if even available.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Thank you Paul!!!
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
surftodd

Post by surftodd »

Great post..... Maybe you guys can help. My 712 isn't charging the batteries. She died on me, but luckily I was on a hill and power shifted it to start. Once started she ran until I turned the key off. I am guessing that the alteranator is working since I was able to drive once started. It just isn't charging the batteries. Both batteries were load tested and are good. Does this sound like a voltage regulator issue? Thanks in advance for any help.